Autograph Letters of eminent foreigners of the 18th and 19th centuries, written in 1578-1830
MS. Montagu d. 20
Held at the Weston Library
Autograph Letters of eminent foreigners of the 18th and 19th centuries, chiefly collected by W. Wilson, arranged in two divisions, and within them alphabetically, with a few engraved portraits. The chief items are:
- Catherine II, empress of Russia (d. 1796), notes stated to be in her handwriting, undated, in French (fol. 3).
- Scudery, Madeleine de, Aug. 30 (1675?), with a poem, in French (fol. 24).
- Alexander I, emperor of Russia, notes stated to be in his hand, in pencil, in French (fol. 38).
- Bayle, Pierre, Feb. 3, 16 3/9 9/0, in French (fol. 60).
- Bellarmine, cardinal Robert, signature, Aug. 23, 1608, in Italian (fol. 64).
- Béranger, Pierre Jean de, undated and unsigned note in French, stated to be in his hand (fol. 70).
- Boileau Despreaux, Nicolas, undated, in French (fol. 84).
- Bonaparte, Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, signature and seven words, undated, in French (fol. 90b): at fol. 251v is his signature, Nov. 13, 1807: see no. 25449.
- Casti, abbe Giambattista: two poems written and signed by him, in Italian (fol. 109).
- Chateaubriand, Francois Auguste, May.
- 14, 1823, in French (fol. 118, cf. 114). D'Éon de Beaumont, chevalier Charles, Jan. 28, 1777, in French (fol. 124).
- Ducis, Jean Francois, three, 1781-1804, in French (fol. 133).
- Foscolo, Ugo, undated, in Italian (fol. 150).
- Frederick II, the Great, king of Prussia, Dec. 20, 1732, in French, and signature, 1742 (fol. 151).
- Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von, two, 1803-31, in French and German (fol. 160).
- Guillotin, Joseph Ignat, Nov. 21, 1805, in French (fol. 170, cf. 169c).
- Henry IV, king of France, undated, in French (fol. 175).
- La Chaise, François (père) de, two, June 10, 1697, etc., in French (fol. 194).
- La Fayette, Jean Paul..., marquis de, undated, in French (fol. 198).
- La Fontaine, Jean de, fabulist, undated, with two fables, in French (fol. 200).
- Lavater, Jean Caspar, three, 1778-94, in German and French (fol. 217).
- Louis XIV, king of France, July 11, 1673, in French (fol. 190, cf. 230).
- Luther, Martin, undated, in Latin, with a fragment in German (fol. 225).
- Melanchthon, Philippus, part of a letter, unsigned, undated, in Latin (fol. 242).
- Napoleon I, see Bonaparte, above.
- Parma, Alessandro, duke of, two, 1578- 89, in French (fol. 145).
- Pestalozzi, Johann Heinrich, Sept. 2r, 1824, in German (fol. 262).
- Rémusat, Jean Pierre Abel, Sept. 19, 1826, in French (fol. 269).
- Rousseau, Jean Jacques, paper stated to be in his hand (fol. 294).
- Saussure, Horace Bénédict de, notes in his hand (fol. 308).
- Sismondi, Jean C. L. S. de, March 5, 1830 (fol. 313).
- Stuart, Henry, cardinal of York, Ang. 26, 1772, signed 'Charles R', in English (fol. 112).
- Talleyrand-Périgord, prince Charles M. de, two undated notes stated to be in his hand, in French (fol. 320).
- Vauban, marshal Sébastien le P. de, letter signed by him, Oct. 23, 1685, etc., in French (fol. 337).
- Voltaire, François M. Arouet de, part of a letter, stated to be in his hand, in French (fol. 346).
- Wieland, Christoph Martin, two, 1766-1807, in German (fol. 351).
- written in 1578-1830
Language of Materials
MS. Montagu d. 20
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 25438.
11 3/4 × 9 1/2 in.