Autograph Letters of eminent foreigners of the 18th and 19th centuries, written in 1578-1830
Autograph Letters of eminent foreigners of the 18th and 19th centuries, chiefly collected by W. Wilson, arranged in two divisions, and within them alphabetically, with a few engraved portraits. The chief items are:
- Catherine II, empress of Russia (d. 1796), notes stated to be in her handwriting, undated, in French (fol. 3).
- Scudery, Madeleine de, Aug. 30 (1675?), with a poem, in French (fol. 24).
- Alexander I, emperor of Russia, notes stated to be in his hand, in pencil, in French (fol. 38).
- Bayle, Pierre, Feb. 3, 16 3/9 9/0, in French (fol. 60).
- Bellarmine, cardinal Robert, signature, Aug. 23, 1608, in Italian (fol. 64).
- Béranger, Pierre Jean de, undated and unsigned note in French, stated to be in his hand (fol. 70).
- Boileau Despreaux, Nicolas, undated, in French (fol. 84).
- Bonaparte, Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, signature and seven words, undated, in French (fol. 90b): at fol. 251v is his signature, Nov. 13, 1807: see no. 25449.
- Casti, abbe Giambattista: two poems written and signed by him, in Italian (fol. 109).
- Chateaubriand, Francois Auguste, May.
- 14, 1823, in French (fol. 118, cf. 114). D'Éon de Beaumont, chevalier Charles, Jan. 28, 1777, in French (fol. 124).
- Ducis, Jean Francois, three, 1781-1804, in French (fol. 133).
- Foscolo, Ugo, undated, in Italian (fol. 150).
- Frederick II, the Great, king of Prussia, Dec. 20, 1732, in French, and signature, 1742 (fol. 151).
- Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von, two, 1803-31, in French and German (fol. 160).
- Guillotin, Joseph Ignat, Nov. 21, 1805, in French (fol. 170, cf. 169c).
- Henry IV, king of France, undated, in French (fol. 175).
- La Chaise, François (père) de, two, June 10, 1697, etc., in French (fol. 194).
- La Fayette, Jean Paul..., marquis de, undated, in French (fol. 198).
- La Fontaine, Jean de, fabulist, undated, with two fables, in French (fol. 200).
- Lavater, Jean Caspar, three, 1778-94, in German and French (fol. 217).
- Louis XIV, king of France, July 11, 1673, in French (fol. 190, cf. 230).
- Luther, Martin, undated, in Latin, with a fragment in German (fol. 225).
- Melanchthon, Philippus, part of a letter, unsigned, undated, in Latin (fol. 242).
- Napoleon I, see Bonaparte, above.
- Parma, Alessandro, duke of, two, 1578- 89, in French (fol. 145).
- Pestalozzi, Johann Heinrich, Sept. 2r, 1824, in German (fol. 262).
- Rémusat, Jean Pierre Abel, Sept. 19, 1826, in French (fol. 269).
- Rousseau, Jean Jacques, paper stated to be in his hand (fol. 294).
- Saussure, Horace Bénédict de, notes in his hand (fol. 308).
- Sismondi, Jean C. L. S. de, March 5, 1830 (fol. 313).
- Stuart, Henry, cardinal of York, Ang. 26, 1772, signed 'Charles R', in English (fol. 112).
- Talleyrand-Périgord, prince Charles M. de, two undated notes stated to be in his hand, in French (fol. 320).
- Vauban, marshal Sébastien le P. de, letter signed by him, Oct. 23, 1685, etc., in French (fol. 337).
- Voltaire, François M. Arouet de, part of a letter, stated to be in his hand, in French (fol. 346).
- Wieland, Christoph Martin, two, 1766-1807, in German (fol. 351).
- Creation: written in 1578-1830
Language of Materials
MS. Montagu d. 20
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 25438.
11 3/4 × 9 1/2 in.