'Original Letters collected by William Upcott... Living Poets... 1824', written in the second half of the 18th and first half of the 19th century
'Original Letters collected by William Upcott... Living Poets... 1824', letters of British poets living in 1824, arranged in alphabetical order, often illustrated by portraits. An index of names and a note by Upcott begin the volume. The more important pieces are:
- Ireland, William Henry, eighteen, 1809-12 (fol. 10).
- Lamb, Charles, May 22, 1822 (fol. 56).
- Milman, Henry Hart, Feb. 23, 1821 (fol. 75).
- Montgomery, James, eight, 1792-1821, with a poem (fol. 78).
- Moore, Thomas, June 1, 1827 (fol. 105).
- More, Hannah, two, undated (fol. 108).
- Pinkerton, John, two, 1783-5 (fol. 135).
- Polwhele, rev. Richard, four, 1804-23 (fol. 146).
- Procter, Barry W. (Barry Cornwall), two, 1822-4, with four poems (fol. 156).
- Rogers, Samuel, one, 1814 (?) (fol. 184).
- Smith, Horatio, three, 1821-2, with live humorous pieces (fol. 203).
- Smith, James, one, undated (fol. 201).
- Strickland, miss Agnes, a poem (fol. 248).
- Thurlow, lord, i.e. Edward Hovell Thur-low, Feb. 11, 1814, with part of the Doges Daughter (fol. 260).
- Wiffen, Jeremiah Holmes, Aug. 15, 1818, with poems (fol. 277).
- Wordsworth, William, a corrected proof-sheet, 1816 (fol. 306).
- Wrangham, Francis, July 31, 1808 (fol. 309).
- Creation: written in the second half of the 18th and first half of the 19th century
Language of Materials
MS. Montagu d. 5
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 25431.
Part of lot 496 in the Upcott sale in 1846.
Old (until about 1890) MS. Montagu no. 29 (part).
10 3/4 × 8 3/4 in.