Services with full and verse anthems, 1674-1675, n.d.
Score, vi + 302 pages. The services were copied by another hand. Exact dates [of composition (?)] appear beside two anthems by Blow, items 28 and 32.
5-13: Verse anthems
14-36: Full anthems (volume reversed)
- (pp. 1-5.) Anon: M, N. ;
- (pp. 6-15) Dr. Childe [Child]: Te Deum, Jubilate, Commandments, Creed, Magnificat, Nunc dimittis;
- (pp. 16-25) Mr. King: Te Deum, Jubilate, Commandments, Creed, Magnificat, Nunc dimittis;
- (pp. 26-33) Mr. Mud [Mudd]: Te Deum, Jubilate, Commandments, Creed (incomplete);
- (pp. 35-37) Mr. Hall: When the Lord turned again;
- (pp. 38-41) Aldrich: Out of the deep;
- (pp. 42-43) Farrant: Call to remembrance;
- (pp. 44-46) Batten: Haste thee O God;
- (pp. 47-49) Orlando Gibbons: Almighty and everlasting God;
- (pp. 50-59) Tye: I will exalt thee;
- (pp. 60-67) Blow: O God wherefore art thou absent;
- (pp. 68-72) Purcell: I will sing unto the Lord;
- (pp. 73-75) Blow: The Lord hear thee;
- (pp. 294-287) Purcell: Behold I bring [Z. 2];
- (pp. 286-278) Humfrey: Have mercy upon me, with verse by Blow for Charles the Martyr's day;
- (pp. 277-272) Tucker: Lord how long;
- (pp. 271-265) Blow: Lord how are they increased;
- (pp. 265-262) Humfrey: Rejoice in the Lord o ye righteous;
- (pp. 261-253) Humfrey: O praise the Lord; (p. 278) Prelude;
- (pp. 252-246) Purcell: I was glad;
- (pp. 246-241) Blow, Humfrey, William Turner: 'Club Anthem', I will always give thanks;
- (pp. 240-235) Turner: Lord thou hast been our refuge;
- (pp. 233-223) Purcell: Be merciful [Z. 4];
- (pp. 221-216) [Humfrey]: Lord teach us to number our days;
- (pp. 215-205) Church: Thou O God art praised;
- (pp. 204-196) Hall: The souls of the righteous (incomplete);
- (pp. 194-188) Harris: Except the Lord build;
- (pp. 187-186, 183-168) Blow: 'March 29 1675'. When the Lord turned again;
- (p. 168) Anon., for 5 voices and figured bass: O spare us, Lord;
- (pp. 167-158) Blow: I said in the cutting off;
- (pp. 157-150) Blow: The Kins of Tharsis;
- (pp. 149-136) Blow: '5 Ap. 1674'. When Israel came out;
- (pp. 135-120) Blow: I beheld and lo;
- (pp. 119-112) Blow: Lift up your heads;
- (pp. 112-100) Blow: Arise O Lord;
- (pp. 99-90) Humfrey: O give thanks; (pp. 185-184) Symphony;
- (pp. 89-77) Blow: The Lord is king;
- Creation: 1674-1675, n.d.
Language of Materials
MS. Mus. Sch. c. 39
Music School B. 6. 9
Other Finding Aids
Robert Hake, [Catalogue of the Music School Collection], c 1850-1855. No. XIX/2.
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 26398.
Large upright folio, usually quired in eights. Watermark, Fleur de Lys, countermark IHS. Ruling 10 staves, red marginal ruling. Binding, rough calf with blind tooling.