Papers, chiefly old letters, bonds, legal papers, and accounts, many imperfect, relating to the property, buildings, and other affairs of Christ Church, Oxford, written in A.D. 1520-1630
MS. Top. Oxon c. 22
A mass of papers, chiefly old letters, bonds, legal papers, and accounts, many imperfect, relating to the property, buildings, and other affairs of Christ Church, Oxford, about 1520-1630, some being of considerable value. Among the papers (which cannot be described summarily) are:
- (fols. 1a, etc.) Many letters addressed to Christ Church by incumbents and tenants (16th century), such as one about a dispute at Hawkhurst, July 9, 1593 (fol. 13a);
- (fol. 25a) Accounts for the making of Tresham Lane in Oxford, about 1551;
- (fol. 34b) The original list of Westminster scholars elected to Christ Church and to Trinity college, Cambridge, July 6, 1580;
- (fols. 42a, 69) Papers relating to the lease of Oseney to William Stumpe of Malmesbury, March 22, 1546/7, and his defaults;
- (fol. 51: cf. 100, etc.) Wage accounts at Christ Church, 1547-1566;
- (fol. 57) Arrears due to the 'masters and fellowis of the late Collegiat howse of Osney', 1545, cf. fol. 120;
- (fols. 63, 80) Some accounts of college batels, 16th cent.;
- (fol. 67) Part of a 15th-century (Oseney?) rental of houses in the city, in Latin;
- (fol. 85) Parts of the Treasurer's Computus, 1556-1559, 1567-1569, & other accounts, partly of Henry viii's time (fols. 99, 118, 131);
- (fol. 157) Payments to the principal, fellows, scholars, etc., of Brasenose college, about 1612 (unconnected with Christ Church)
- written in A.D. 1520-1630
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
This material is fragile. To ensure its availability to future readers, access to this material is restricted. Readers are asked to work from reproductions and published descriptions as far as possible. To apply to see the original, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org, outlining the subject of your research, the importance of this material to that research, and the resources you have already consulted. Please also tell us about the timeframe for your project, if any, and when you hope to visit.
MS. Top. Oxon c. 22
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 30776.
14 3/8 × 10 in.