MS. 5994 Photogr. 1
Comprises folders of photographs, mainly of Barbara Pym:
- 1920s-1930s - includes: portraits by Nellie Powis Evans and Mr & Mrs Jno. Williams, Portland Studios, Rhyl, n.d.; on the Dover to Ostend Boat with Hilary and Michael Macann, Aug 1935; Harry Harker, Calcutta, 1936, with reprint; and Barbara and Robert Smith at 40 Brooksville Ave., n.d.. Also includes some negatives and letter from Bob [?], enclosing photograph of Barbara and Hilary Pym at Huyton College, 17 Jan 2000.
- 1930s (Oxford) - includes photographs of: Barbara with Robert Liddell and John Barnicot, 1936 and Jim Wilson and Gwerfyl Alun-Roberts, 1939; Elsie [Harvey] at Sirmio, 1937; Henry Harvey, 1935; St Hilda's, class photo of 1932 and photographs with Mary Sharp, Rosemary Topping, [?] Tomlinson and [?] Pedly 1934; Barbara Pym at Morda Lodge, 1937; photographs of Barbara in North Wales, 1938 and with Frederic, Irena and Hilary Pym, Pwllheli, 1939.
- 1940s - includes: photograph in Switzerland, 1947; with Evelyn Rathieson and Irene [?], Rome, 1945; with Arthur, Jack and Harry Koëke, R.N., Caxton Hall, 1947; Honor Wyatt, 1940s by Navana; in 3rd Officer WRNS uniform, 1944; partial copy group photograph of WRNS with Barbara Pym 7th from left, middle row, c.1944; Virginia Gunn, 1948; various photographs of Gordon Glover, BBC, 1943-1947; and portrait by Wallace Heaton, n.d.
- 1950s-1960s - includes: photographs at Barnes, 1959; set of postcards of St Hilda's, Oxford (OUP), n.d. with note by Hilary Walton, 2000; colour photograph of Barbara Pym in doorway [of Barn Cottage]; further Oxford postcards, c.1930s; various portraits; cats, n.d.; 40 Brooksville Avenue, 1960s; St Saviour's Church Xmas Bazaar, Croydon, 1952; Delos, 1964; Richard Roberts; working at International African Institute, London by David Gamble; with Hilary Walton; colour photograph of [Monica Jones] with cat ; and photograph of Gerald [?], signed, n.d.
- 1970-1980 - includes: colour photograph of Barbara Pym with Philip Larkin, c.1975; Barn Cottage, Finstock, some with Hilary Walton; Alan Maclean of Macmillans, Booker Prize Dinner, 1977; 86 Banbury Road, Oxford (home of Henry Harvey and Robert Liddell, c.1936) taken by Tom Holt [post mid 1970s]; Morda Lodge, Oswestry, c.1980s; BBC TV filming at Barn Cottage [with Lord David Cecil] and in London, Jul-Sep 1977; and various photographs of Barn Cottage and Finstock, 1970s.
- Loose contact sheets of portraits of Barbara Pym by unknown photographer, n.d.; Andrew Whittuck (with covering letter), 1977; and Mark Gerson [Aug 1979].
1 box (6 folders)
Language of Materials
MS. 5994 Photogr. 1