Collections for Sequentiarum melodiae, 1854-1919
Bannister collected, but did not live to publish, materials on sequence melodies. His projected title was Sequentiarum melodiae. 'A fractional part' was published by Dom Anselm Hughes, Anglo-French sequelae edited from the papers of.. . Bannister (Plainsong and Mediaeval Music Society, 1934).
The transcripts of the melodies (MSS. Lat. liturg. c. 11-18, 20-26, 28, 30-33) mainly in Bannister's hand, are classified and numbered according to musical form:
- A Notkerian sequences
- B sequences for regular stanzas with lines of 8 8 7
- C sequences for regular stanzas of other syllabic formation
- D melodies in sequence form for other tropes
- E irregular melodies for tropes of various kinds (either not in stanzas, or in stanzas set to a varied melody)
- F melodies repeated verse by verse in hymns and similar works
The main index of incipits of the sequences in A-F is in MS. Lat. liturg. c. 29. The incipits of F and the melody-titles of A are indexed in MS. Lat. liturg. c. 33. Other indexes are in MS. Lat. liturg. c. 27. Unclassified transcripts, not indexed, and scattered D transcripts are in MSS. Lat. liturg. c. 30-33.
- Creation: 1854-1919
Language of Materials
Full range of shelfmarks:
MSS. Lat. liturg. c. 11-33, d. 26