Papers relating to the history of the City and County of Gloucester, written in the first quarter of the 18th century chiefly by A. Wantner
Papers relating to the history of the City and County of Gloucester, chiefly by Abel Wantner. These have been largely used in forming MS. Top. Glouc. c. 3, and can be best summarized by a reference to the divisions in the latter volume to which these materials relate:
- Bk. 1 (city annals). Account of the dukes of Gloucester, mayors, etc. (fol. 111): of buildings (fol. 122).
- Bk. 2 (the abbey and cathedral). Account (fol. 132: Verses in praise of Elizabeth Wiltshire, a benefactor to the College School, 1587 (fol. 135b): copy of the original Statutes of the Cathedral (fol. 277).
- Bk. 3 (county). 'The Military Part' an account of the militia (fols. 90, 104): lists of roads and distances (fol. 94): accounts of the river Severn (fol. 128), Tewkesbury (fols. 139b, 247), Bristol (fol. 353, a full account), and other places (fols. 147, 265): extracts from Leland's Itinerary, by Dr. Furney (fol. 226): ship money contributed by the county in 1677 (fol. 331): fees in the law-courts (fol. 325).
- Bk. 4 (diocese). Lists of parishes, incumbents, etc., in 1701 (fol. 290).
- Bk. 5 (nobility, gentry, etc.). Three drafts of this (fols. 1, 15, 72): notes of some families (fol. 170), especially Beaufort (fols. 194, 204).
At fol. 349 is an account of the ancient roads of Britain, by John Foxcroft of Nuneaton June 16, 1712.
(fols. 313-324) are occupied with drafts, proofs, etc., of prospectuses of the proposed History of the City and County, by Abel Wantner, with lists of subscribers (some autograph) and specimens, about 1710-15.
418 leaves foliated to '398'.
- Creation: written in the first quarter of the 18th century chiefly by A. Wantner
Language of Materials
MS. Top. Glouc. c. 2
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 27827.
13 3/4 × 9 1/8 in.