A medley of papers, chiefly on ecclesiastical affairs, 1585-1671
MS. Add. C. 302
Held at the Weston Library
A medley of papers, chiefly on ecclesiastical affairs, some addressed to sir Francis Walsingham (cf. MS. Add. C. 304a, fol. 12: 1585-1588), but most to bp. and archbp. Sheldon, 1664-1671, from bishops and others. Specimens are:
- 'A coppie of the Ld. B. of Winchesters letters to the Kinge after the hearinge of Dr. Lauds cause', about Laud's election as President of St. John's college, Oxford, Sept. 1, 1611 (fol. 16);
- 'A libell censured in Starr-chamber, Octob. 17, 1627', a poem, beg. 'Come neere, Lady Muses' (fol. 18, cf. MS. Add. C. 303, fol. 21);
- a copy of an order of the Visitors of the University of Oxford about allowing the warden of Wadham college to marry, Jan. 20, 1651/2 (fol. 27, cf. 81, case of Francis Pile of Wadham, 1667, and MS. Add. C. 304a, fol. 46, a letter, partly autograph, from archbp. Sheldon on the same case, 'not sent' June 14, 1669);
- the money raised at Oxford from the colleges to provide for the king's visit in August, 1636 (fol. 90);
- subscription list for erecting a chapel for the English garrison at Dunkirk (1661?), signed by the king (£200), the duke of York Clarendon (£40), etc. (fol. 92);
- petition of John Alleyne that he may be next warden of Dulwich college (1669: fol. 123, cf. 174);
- papers about a dispute over dilapidations at Rose Castle, 1671 (fol. 255).
Language of Materials
MS. Add. C. 302
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 28184.