Religious pieces by Bishop Burnet, written chiefly early in the 18th century by Bishop Burnet
Religious pieces by Bishop Burnet, etc.:
- (fols. 1, 161). Burnet's Exposition of the Church Catechism, autograph, but somewhat different in arrangement from the printed edition of 1710;
- (fol. 89). 'A synopsis of Ecclesiastes', followed by part of an Advent meditation on Gal, iv. 6: neither in Bishop Burnet's hand, but perhaps his;
- (fol. 100). A copy of dean George Stanhope's will, May 2, 1727; his daughter married bishop Burnet's eldest son William;
- (fol. 104). Fifty autograph sermons by Bishop Burnet, followed by a prayer, imperfect at end;
- (fol. 195). 'Of my own life', a 'rough draught' of Bishop Burnet's autobiography, to Nov. 30, 1710, with a catalogue of his works, all autograph.
- Creation: written chiefly early in the 18th century by Bishop Burnet
Language of Materials
MS. Add. D. 24
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 28395.