Hearne 'Usserii Collectaneorum' vol. 7, written in the first half of the 17th century partly by Archbishop Ussher
MS. Add. A. 380
Miscellaneous collections, made for or by Ussher, among which are:
- (fol. 2) 'Hierographia Hiberniæ', the dedication (to Thomas Arthur, M.D., signed 'N. L.'), preface and first chapter only: chap. 1 beg. 'De origine Christianæ institutionis in Hibernia tractaturo';
- (fol. 55c) Part of a Latin chronicle of Ireland belonging to Ussher, A.D. 994- 1177, beg. '994. Sanctus Oswaldus Eboracensis archiepiscopus transiuit ad cæli gloriam';
- (fol. 74b) 'Ad breves ... notas ... J. V[sserii] Annotationes præcoquæ ...' about early Irish ecclesiastical history, beg.'De Ogygia et Thule. Par est propemodum vtriusque obscuritas';
- (fol. 81) A list of some early Irish writers, in Latin;
- (fols. 96, 111) Two short English annals of Ireland, covering from A.D. 392 to 1255, with notes ascribed to Robert Vaughan on the earlier one;
- (fol. 116) Excerpts from Bodl. MS. Roe 9 (a Greek Life of Constantine the Great and his mother Helena), with Latin notes and an abstract of what is not copied, stated to be by bp. Thomas Barlow;
- (fol. 153) Some geographical papers, on the latitude and longitude of Constantinople, Rhodes and Alexandria, by John Greaves, with maps of Arabia (fols. 159, 165, 173, etc.), and lists of places in Asia with their latitude and longitude (fols. 160, 162, 180v, cf. 175-9, 185);
- (fol. 188) Some chronological papers;
- (fol. 194) Some astronomical and mathematical papers of Dr. John Bainbridge (chiefly autograph), including his Anti-prognosticon, preceded at fol. 192 by Will Strode's Latin funeral oration on Bainbridge, Nov. 6, 1643;
- (fol. 213) Hugonis Grotii 'Dissertatio de Coenæ administratione ubi Pastores non sunt, item an semper communicandum per symbola', 1638.
Tyrrell's list of contents is at fol. 1.
- written in the first half of the 17th century partly by Archbishop Ussher
Language of Materials
MS. Add. A. 380
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 27616.