Hearne 'Usserii Collectaneorum' vol. 1, written in the first half of the 17th century partly by Ussher
Collections by Archbishop Ussher relating chiefly to the Ecclesiastical History of the British Isles, among which are:
- (fol. 1) Extracts from Bede's Hist. Ecclesiastica, from Gervasius Dorobernensis (fol. 29v), Sprott's Chronicle (ibid. and fol. 92v), Walter de Gisborne or Heming-ford (fol. 3ov), Nic. Trivet (fol. 31), etc., the whole forming a catena from b. c. 60 to about A.D. 1300;
- (fol. 31v) Gilbertus Lunicensis (of Limerick) De statu Ecclesiæ, with prologue, chiefly from a Cambr. Univ. Libr. MS. and one belonging to Augustine Linsell;
- (fol. 39) 'Vita Abbatum monasterii in Wiramutha & Gyruum' by Bede, from a Cotton and a Linsell MS.; and a Life of Bede (fol. 48) and of Gildas, by Caradoc of Langarvan (fol. 56) from the same MSS.;
- (fol. 61) a Latin poem by Ethelwulf on St. Peter's monastery connected with Lindisfarne abbey, beg. 'Sume pater placidos', from a Cotton MS.;
- (fol. 73) some copies of constitutions, charters and privileges in Anglo-Saxon times;
- (fol. 89) a dissertation by Camden De Constantini patria, with Justus Lipsius's reply, 1604;
- (fol. 94) 117 letters from Anselm;
- (fol. 124) 'Annales Anglo-Saxonici' et Scotici, from various manuscript sources, with notes;
- (fol. 153) The Song of Taliesin, in Welsh, with a Latin translation into Sapphics by -- Jones, vicar of Llanfair dyffryn Clwyd, 1580;
- (fol. 157) a Latin poem by Rhygyfarch (Ricemarchus: d. 1099), beg. 'Heu quia nos ætas', copied in Dr. Richard James's hand;
- (fol. 158) 'Verses found in the Register of Lismore', beg. 'Dictus fuit quondam festus', imperfect;
- (fol. 159) Two Greek fragments about the date of Easter by Petrus Alexandrinus and Theophilus Alexandrinus, copied in 1626, with notes by Joh. Boisius;
- (fol. 169) Autograph collation by J. Boisius of the Greek Liturgy of Basil in an old MS. lent him by Ussher, April 4, 1626;
- (fol. 172v) 'Catalogus librorum manu-scriptorum ab Ignatio patriarcha Antiocheno ex Oriente advectorum', a copy of Sir Henry Savile's list made by him at Rome;
- (fol. 174) 'Index [i.e. catalogus] librorum [manuscriptorum] Arabicorum, qui sunt apud Marcum de Obelio', followed by another similar list of MSS. belonging to the king of Spain;
- (fol. 199v) a copy of the Ύμνοѕ Εώθινος (beg. Δόξα έν ύψίστοιѕ θεώ);
- fol. 202v) comparative lists of ancient bishoprics in the British Isles.
A very small proportion of the papers in this volume are in Ussher's hand, but he contributes many notes. A list of most of the contents, apparently by 'James Tyrrill', the donor, is at fol. 231.
Many of the copies are from Cottonian MSS.
- Creation: written in the first half of the 17th century partly by Ussher
Language of Materials
- Greek, Ancient (to 1453)
MS. Add. C. 296
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 27610.