Portions of a work on the old buildings of Oxford etc., Written about 1887-1912, by H. Hurst
1. Fol. 3. Portions of a work on the old buildings of Oxford projected by Mr. Herbert Hurst and intended by him 'to provide a complete pictorial guide to the architecture of Oxford as far as the year 1800', comprising:
- Fol. 5. a prospectus
- Fol. 9. a preface 'to the reader' dated January, 1887
- Fol. 10. Introduction with index at fol. 32 and (fol. 34) part i--St. Alban's Hall, with index at fol. 48: the drawings illustrating this part are now in MS. Top. Oxon b. 81, fols. 3, 39-41
- Fol. 50. part xviii--Exeter college, fragment only, followed by a transcript of a 'Survey of Exeter college, Oxford, by Dr. John Prideaux, rector', A.D. 1631-2
- Fol. 74. part li--St. Peter-in-the-East, with an index at fol. 168: the drawings accompanying this part have been bound up as MS. Top. Oxon a. 15
2. Fol. 174. Various articles on Oxford topography:
- Fol. 174. abstract of a paper by the writer on Oxford castle read to the Oxford Architectural Society, Nov. 3, 1899
- Fol. 182. essays by the writer on Aristotle's well and (fol. 188) on the four noses of Brasenose college (cp. no. 36046, fol. 35), the latter dated Feb. 1904
- Fol. 196. chronological tables of buildings in the city and university of Oxford
- Fol. 225. names of witnesses to deeds in the Latin chartulary of Godstow priory (P. R. O., Exch. K. R. misc. bk. 20), supplementary to the abstract of the English version given in MS. Top. Oxon c. 189
- Fols. 244, 255. abstract of Brasenose college deeds and papers relating to college property in Oxford, c. 1246-1838
- Fol. 276. miscellaneous notes and correspondence, including notes by Mr. Charles Moore on Mr. Hurst's 'Agas and Hutten' (Bodleian MS. no. 36050), and letters from Mr. H. W. Brewer to Mr. Hurst on the plan of Oseney abbey (fol. 292)
Additions: fols. 330-61 a paper by Mr. Herbert Hurst on Beaumont Palace and the White Friars (Old Buildings of Oxford, pt. vi), presented by Mr. Cyril Hurst, March 31, 1914: for the accompanying plans see MS. Top. Oxon b. 81, fols. 27-32.
- Creation: Written about 1887-1912, by H. Hurst
Language of Materials
MS. Top. Oxon c. 194
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. VI, no. 36042
Bound up from loose papers presented Sept. 23 and Nov. 7, 1913.
13 1/2 × 8 3/8 in.