A book of Hours, with psalms, prayers etc., Written in the first half of the 15th century in England
MS. Jones 43
A book of Hours, with psalms, prayers etc.:
- Fol. 4. Hymns and prayers
- Fol. 11. The so-called Psalterium sancti Hieronymi
- Fol. 23v. 'Psalmi de passione Domini nostri Ihesu Christi.'
- Fol. 31. A calendar, with entries of the movements of the Constable family (of Yorkshire?) in the middle of the 16th cent. The rebus of the family seems to occur on fol. 11v
- Fol. 37. Horae beatae Mariae Virginis, followed by hymns and prayers to the Virgin (fol. 58) and on the Passion of Christ (fol. 66), a Litany of the Virgin (fol. 81), the Placebo and Dirige (fol. 85), 'Commendationes animarum' (fol. 98v)
- Written in the first half of the 15th century in England
Language of Materials
MS. Jones 43
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. III, no. 8951
Perhaps written for one of the Constable family, see above. 'Mecholyscraynwelle', on fol. 108v, may be a 16th cent. owner.
On parchment, several leaves with miniatures missing, with a few illuminated borders, etc., but mutilated. In the original binding, sheepskin on boards
6 7/8 × 5 1/8 in.