Collection of eight MSS., Written in the 17th century
MS. Jones 39
Collection of eight MSS.:
- Fol. 2. 'An humble essay toward the settlement of Peace and Truth in the Church', Lond. 1681: by sir Edw. Harley: apparently a copy from the printed work
- Fol. 18. 'The Civile Caualiere, or a Discourse concerning the present Parlament:' a dialogue between a R[oundhead] and C[avalier], beg. 'R. There is a Parliament in being', imperfect at end: perhaps written in 1642: the first leaf is detached and bound as fol. 103
- Fol. 34. 'Regis Responsio libello cuidam inscripto Declaratio et remonstrantia Procerum et Communium :' written in 1642, but apparently the original draft of a fictitious message: beg. 'Si unquam fatiganda esset.'
- Fol. 51. 'De Conscientia', beg. 'Errorum practicorum', with note 'Auctor est D. Doctor Hammondus, ni fallor:' apparently an abbreviated form of the printed treatise
- Fol. 73. 'A Discourse collected out of the Common Lawes of England proving that the oath Ex Officio is, hath been, and ought to be practised in the Ecclesiastical Courts. Written by a Common Lawyer', in English: beg. 'Of oaths in ecclesiastical courts. Mandamus vicecomiti.'
- Fol. 83. Petitions to Charles I, with his answers, 1625
- Fol. 95). Copy of Luke i. 1-77 in the (British Museum) Codex Alexandrinus, in Greek uncials and minuscules
- Fol. 105. 'De resistendo Legitimo Magistratui sub prætextu religionis, et, per modum Appendicis, de voce κρίμα redditâ Damnatio Rom. 13. Reimpressum [this word erased]. Item De Zelotis inter Judæos, De Cruce tollenda, Vindicatio reprehensionis istius quâ Christus Petrum corripuit, ab exceptionibus Mag. [Steph.] Marshalli', with note 'Quære annon scripserit D. Hen. Hammondus, & alius quispiam in sermonem Latinum verterit? ': at end 'Verteb[am]: A. Br. 4° Cal. Jun.' erased. The English original was printed at Oxford in 1647.
- Written in the 17th century
Language of Materials
MS. Jones 39
The original order of this volume was artt. 1, 3, 4, 8, 2, 5, 6, then one now lost 'The election of the Count Palatine to be King of Bohemia', then art. 7.
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. III, no. 8947
9 1/8 × 6 3/4 in.