Collection of five English MSS., Written in about the middle of the 17th century see below
MS. Jones 14
Held at the Weston Library
Collection of five English MSS.:
- Fol. iii. The Life of Cardinal Wolsey by George Cavendish, with a coloured design giving Wolsey's arms as bishop of various sees, and as archbishop and cardinal: a transcript 'Per me Thomam Woodcock.'
- Fol. 100. 'Contemplations upon the History of Ruth', paraphrases and meditations: beg. 'As an entrance to this divine history', a transcript, but fols. 301-303a seem to contain a fragment of the original MS. (Ruth iv. 15-end)
- Fol. 305. 'The Wedding Robe, or a treatise touching the vnlawfullnes of Protestants marriages with Papists . By George Hakewill, Dr in Divinity ... and Rector of Exceter Colledge in Oxford.' This appears to be the original MS.
- Fol. 315v. 'The confutacion of the Popes supremacie wrytten by Gregory of Hemburgh [Heimburg] a hundreth and xxxj yeares agoo [A.D. 1530] and now fyrst put in print', the original MS. of the translation from the Latin (Bâle, 1555 etc.), seemingly written in 1661
- Fol. 328. 'Some things to be considered of any one who liuing in the Communion of the Church of England . is strongly mooued to ... betake himself to ... (the Romane Church)', beg. 'Long before Luther.'
- Written in about the middle of the 17th century see below
Language of Materials
MS. Jones 14
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. III, no. 8921
These five divisions were separate MSS. when in Mr. Jones's possession.
14 × 9 in.