Chronicles and documents connected with the Monastery of St. Swithin at Winchester, Written in the first half of the 17th century
MS. Jones 4
Chronicles and documents connected with the Monastery of St. Swithin at Winchester, 'Chronica Cenobij Si Swithini Winton.', in Latin, the chief being:
- Fol. 4. A short history of the monastery: beg. 'Britannia semper in Fide Christi remansit.'
- Fol. 5. 'Liber Historialis et Antiquitatum domus sancti Swithuni Wintoniæ, Johannis Exceter, ejusdem loci Commonachi, proprijs manibus descriptus anno ... 1531.'
- Fol. 12. A short chronicle of the kings of England from Egbert to Hen. VI, with their donations to the monastery: 'hæc Wilhelmus Woddeson propria ejus manu scripsit.' Then follow copies of deeds and short pieces.
- Fol. 28v. A short chronicle of England and of the monastery from Lucius to Hen. VI: beg. 'Futuræ resurrectionis fælicem.'
- Written in the first half of the 17th century
Language of Materials
MS. Jones 4
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. III, no. 8911
- A fuller account will be found in Nasmyth's printed catalogue of the C. C. C. MSS.
12 3/4 × 8 1/4 in.