Compositions for prizes at school and at University by E. W. B. Nicholson: 'Compositions for prizes at [Tonbridge] school, 1864-7', Written in 1864-1871 by E. W. B. Nicholson
MS. Eng. misc. d. 51
Compositions for prizes at school and at University by E. W. B. Nicholson: 'Compositions for prizes at [Tonbridge] school, 1864-7'. The compositions are:
- Fol. 3. English poem, 'Chersonesus Cimbrica'
- Fol. 18. Latin prose translation of Hooker's Ecclesiastical Polity, bk. i. c. 10. § 4
- Fol. 23. English essay, 'Is it the duty of a statesman to lead or to follow public opinion ?'
- Fol. 38. English poem, 'Harold' (cp. 36103 fols. 37v, 44)
- Fols. 72, 77. Greek prose translation of the narrative of the siege of Plataea in Smith's History of Greece
- Fol. 82. translation into Greek verse of lines in Tennyson's 'Morte d'Arthur', beg. 'Then went Sir Bedivere the second time'
- Fol. 87. Latin verse translation of lines in Campbell's 'Pleasures of Hope'
- Fol. 92. Latin prose translation of passage in Addison's 'Spectator', no. 169
- Fol. 96. English essay, 'European policy, its rise, progress and characteristics'
- Fol. 130. English poem on 'The meeting of the French and English Fleets at Portsmouth, 1865'
- Fol. 141. Greek prose translation of the concluding passage in Mr. Robert Lowe's second speech on the Reform Bill of 1866
- Fol. 148. Greek verse translation of the lines in Milton's Samson Agonistes, beg. 'Boast not of what'
- Fol. 155. passage from Arnold's History of Rome, ed. 1843, vol. iii. p. 118, translated into Latin prose
- Fol. 162. Latin verse translation of lines from Pope's 'Temple of Fame', beg. 'The temple shakes'
- Fol. 169. English essay, 'In a protracted struggle between a great man and a great nation, the resources and energies of the man must eventually succumb to those of the nation'
- Fol. 187. English poem, 'The Atlantic cable'
- Written in 1864-1871 by E. W. B. Nicholson
Language of Materials
English Greek Latin
MS. Eng. misc. d. 51
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. VI, no. 36108
11 × 9 in.