Collections made by Sir Frederic Madden, Written about 1838-1843 by Sir Fred. Madden
Collections made by Sir Frederic Madden for his edition of The Old English Versions of the Gesta Romanorum, Roxburghe Club, 1838. The principal contents are:
- Fol. 16. author's MS. of the notes to the 1838 edition prepared for the press, beginning imperfect
- Fol. 36. account of a MS. of the Gesta Romanorum purchased by Thomas Wright at Paris in Jan. 1843
- Fol. 49. account of a MS. of the same work in the library of the hon. Thos. Greville, 1839
- Fol. 54. account of MSS. of the Gesta in the British Museum (fols. 54, 103), the Bodleian Library (fol. 99), the Cambridge University Library (fol. 106), the Imperial Library at Vienna (fol. 112)
- Fol. 118. collation of some early printed editions
- Fol. 131. descriptions of the printed editions with tracings of their watermarks
- Fol. 187. account of the Disciplina Clericalis of Petrus Alfonsus
- Fol. 205. notes of stories in the Gesta recurring in other collections, etc.
- Creation: Written about 1838-1843 by Sir Fred. Madden
Language of Materials
MS. Eng. misc. c. 76
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. VI, no. 36096
13 1/2 × 9 in.