Printed and manuscript papers, Written in 1876-1901
Printed and manuscript papers relating to the metropolitan free libraries committee and the free libraries bill, 1876-83. The more important printed pieces contained in these two volumes have been entered in the general catalogue: the principal manuscript contents are:
- Fol. 132. notes by E. W. B. Nicholson for his published paper on 'The consolidation and amendment of the Public Library Acts for England'
- Fols. 145, 260. correspondence of E. W. B. Nicholson as secretary of the Metropolitan Free Libraries Association, 1880-1, regarding the introduction into Parliament, and subsequent amendment, of the Free Libraries Bill, 1881, together with a draft of the bill (fol. 203v)
- Letters from Sir John Lubbock, the proposer of the bill, are at fols. 160, 162, 198, 320
- Fols. 357, 360. two drafts of a paper by E. W. B. Nicholson on 'Our Free Library System'
Arranged and bound in April, 1913.
- Creation: Written in 1876-1901
Language of Materials
MS. Eng. misc. c. 66
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. VI, no. 36087
13 1/2 × 9 in.