Collection of four Latin manuscripts, Made up of four MSS. written in the 10th and 11th century, probably in England
MS. Barlow 35
Collection of four Latin manuscripts:
- 10th cent. Calendarial rules, beg. 'Habuisti primitus' (fol. 2), with much repetition of 'Si vis scire', followed by the 'Prognostica temporum' of Bede (Migne, Patr. Lat., tom. xc, col. 951), here headed 'Incipit subputatio quam subputauit Hesdras propheta' (fol. 5)
- 10th cent. 'Questiones Albini [i.e. Alcuin] super Geneseos' (fol. 6), beg. 'Quomodo conuenit' (Migne, Patr. Lat., tom. c, col. 517). Two leaves have been cut out between fols. 43-4
- Early 11th cent. 'Incipiunt scolia Graecorum glosarum' (fol. 44), beg. 'Apodixen ostentio', in double columns, for which see Nettleship, Contributions, p. xvi, followed by a more elaborate glossary, beg. 'Apocrofus igitur Latine dicitur secretatus' (fol. 44v), and miscellaneous glosses (fol. 53v). At fol. 54v is an astronomical note beg. 'Vesper est stella occidentalis'
- Fol. 56: 10th cent. 'Veturio suo Cicero salutem. Collegi ea quae', the synonyms of Cicero, in six columns, to which has been added an extract from Aelfric's Latin-Anglo-Saxon glossary printed at pp. 310-13 in Zupitza's edition (fol. 57). See further Archiv für... neueren Sprachen (1894), vol. 92, pp. 413-14
- Made up of four MSS. written in the 10th and 11th century, probably in England
Language of Materials
MS. Barlow 35
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 6467
8 4/5 × 6 4/5 in.