Miscellaneous papers from abp. Ussher's collections, Made up of seven MSS. written early in the 17th century in England
MS. Barlow 10
Miscellaneous papers from abp. Ussher's collections (cf. MS. Add. C. 301):
- Fol. 6.. 'The Rosary of the Virgin Mary' in English, beg. 'Desirous desire and price inestimable', a devotional treatise. Colophon: 'Written by J. Metcalf in the Ides of October 1594' (fol. 37v).
- Fol. 38. Latin epigrams on many subjects, beg. 'Cum Thetis et Bacchus perversa lege coirent'.
- Fol. 42. A history of Britain in Latin, to A.D. 1080, with colophon in another hand, 'Hucusque historiam suam perduxit D. Pouelus' [David Powell, the historian of Wales].
- Fol. 78. 'Johannes Pontanus his epistle philosopher [sic]', of which another copy is in MS. Ashmole 1458, fol. 136, beg. 'I Jhon Pontanus have travayled many regeons, that I might knowe some certainty of the philosophers' stone', followed by English and Latin astrological recipes in prose (fol. 81v) and verse (fol. 84).
- Fol. 90. '"Opoι διàϕοροι', excerpts from Clement, etc., incomplete (fol. 90), 'Photii patriarchae Constantinopolitani in Nomoc. praefatione', printed in Justell, ii. 789-95 (fol. 91), a fragment of the Notitia Vrbium for Egypt and Palestine (fol. 97), Συναγωγή κανόνων, printed ib. ii. 499-508 (fol. 99) and 603-30 (fol. 105v).
- Fol. 118. 'Notae in Clementis [Romani] epistolas duas ad Corinthios ad D.D. [Johannis] Williams tunc Lincolniensem episcopum [1621-41], postea archiepiscopum Eboracensis dicatae', beg. 'Clementis ad Corinthios epistolam priorem negat extare Bellarminus'.
- Fol. 129. A letter endorsed 'Mr [William] Chillingworth's letter of Infallibility', beg. 'Good Mr [Lewger] though I am resolved not to be much afflicted', printed in his Works (1742), ed. Thomas Birch, p. 391.
- Made up of seven MSS. written early in the 17th century in England
Language of Materials
- Multiple languages
- Greek, Modern (1453-)
MS. Barlow 10
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 6436*
The table of contents (fol. 3) shows that these were derived from archbishop Ussher's collections (cf. MS. Barlow 13).
14 1/5 × 9 3/10 in.