Miscellaneous papers from abp. Ussher's collections, Made up of seven MSS. written early in the 17th century in England
Miscellaneous papers from abp. Ussher's collections (cf. MS. Add. C. 301):
- Fol. 6.. 'The Rosary of the Virgin Mary' in English, beg. 'Desirous desire and price inestimable', a devotional treatise. Colophon: 'Written by J. Metcalf in the Ides of October 1594' (fol. 37v).
- Fol. 38. Latin epigrams on many subjects, beg. 'Cum Thetis et Bacchus perversa lege coirent'.
- Fol. 42. A history of Britain in Latin, to A.D. 1080, with colophon in another hand, 'Hucusque historiam suam perduxit D. Pouelus' [David Powell, the historian of Wales].
- Fol. 78. 'Johannes Pontanus his epistle philosopher [sic]', of which another copy is in MS. Ashmole 1458, fol. 136, beg. 'I Jhon Pontanus have travayled many regeons, that I might knowe some certainty of the philosophers' stone', followed by English and Latin astrological recipes in prose (fol. 81v) and verse (fol. 84).
- Fol. 90. '"Opoι διàϕοροι', excerpts from Clement, etc., incomplete (fol. 90), 'Photii patriarchae Constantinopolitani in Nomoc. praefatione', printed in Justell, ii. 789-95 (fol. 91), a fragment of the Notitia Vrbium for Egypt and Palestine (fol. 97), Συναγωγή κανόνων, printed ib. ii. 499-508 (fol. 99) and 603-30 (fol. 105v).
- Fol. 118. 'Notae in Clementis [Romani] epistolas duas ad Corinthios ad D.D. [Johannis] Williams tunc Lincolniensem episcopum [1621-41], postea archiepiscopum Eboracensis dicatae', beg. 'Clementis ad Corinthios epistolam priorem negat extare Bellarminus'.
- Fol. 129. A letter endorsed 'Mr [William] Chillingworth's letter of Infallibility', beg. 'Good Mr [Lewger] though I am resolved not to be much afflicted', printed in his Works (1742), ed. Thomas Birch, p. 391.
- Creation: Made up of seven MSS. written early in the 17th century in England
Language of Materials
- Multiple languages
- Greek, Modern (1453-)
MS. Barlow 10
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 6436*
The table of contents (fol. 3) shows that these were derived from archbishop Ussher's collections (cf. MS. Barlow 13).
14 1/5 × 9 3/10 in.