Collection of eight English and Latin manuscripts, Made up of eight MSS. written after 1648 (see p. 100) in England
(6436) A lawyer's note-book containing copies of legal tracts, briefs with counsel's opinion, and extracts from public records, concerning chiefly precedency, prohibitions, tithes, ecclesiastical jurisdiction, prerogative, and forests:
- P. 1. 'Reasons of Precedencie, of doctors before sergeants', beg. 'They professe the Lawes'
- P. 13. 'The Lord Chancellor. Some obseruations upon the statutes ... for payment of tithes', beg. 'Tithes are payable iure communi'
- P. 35. 'The groundes of the prohibitions to the High Commission and the answers vnto them', beg. 'The prohibitions to the High Commission', with a marginal note 'Mr Attorney Hubbarte in Som. 1609. vid. pag. 95', followed by further notes on the same subject, ascribed to Thomas Egerton, lord Chancellor of England (p. 48)
- P. 53., 'Sir John Bennet's treatise of interpretation of statutes concerning ecclesiasticall cognizance', beg. 'The temporall judges'
- P. 56. 'The request of the judge of the admiraltie to the lord cheife justice ...', dated May 14, 1579, and 'A breife schedule, concerning some grounds of ministring oaths ex officio, in crimes punishable by ordinaryes, and ecclesiasticall jurisdiction': (p. 58) opinions on tithes
- P. 68. 'Reasons why the king may heare & determine causes in his own person'
- P. 70. arguments concerning pro-hibitions
- P. 82. extracts from statutes concerning the privileges of the church and the king's prerogative
- P. 99. a table giving the names of the kings of England, 1066-1648, with the dates of coronation, length of reign, and place of burial
- P. 101. extracts from statutes and public records relating to the royal forests, including a perambulation of the forest of Wychwood, 28 Ed. i (p. 121), and 'The customs of the mannor of Woodstocke' (p. 125)
(6441) Transcripts by various hands of portions of Henry Spelman's Discourse of Sacrilege, comprising pp. 1-62 (ch. 1, °° 1-7) and pp. 181-282 (ch. 788) of the 1698 edition. See also Gibson's Reliquiae Spelmanniae (Oxford, 1698), fol. 3v. 58 pages.
(6442) Transcripts by various hands of portions of Henry Spelman's Discourse of Sacrilege, comprising pp. 1-62 (ch. 1, °° 1-7) and pp. 181-282 (ch. 788) of the 1698 edition. See also Gibson's Reliquiae Spelmanniae (Oxford, 1698), fol. 3v. 68 pages.
(6443) Transcripts by various hands of portions of Henry Spelman's Discourse of Sacrilege, comprising pp. 1-62 (ch. 1, °° 1-7) and pp. 181-282 (ch. 788) of the 1698 edition. See also Gibson's Reliquiae Spelmanniae (Oxford, 1698), fol. 3v. 46 pages.
(6454) A catalogue [arranged alphabetically] of all the monasteries, priories, collegiate churches in England before the dissolution; as also of all houses of friars though not endow'd with land ...', written by Sir William Dugdale, with marginalia by Barlow. 16 pages.
(6456) A brief catalogue, with marginalia by Barlow, of MSS. in Sir Thomas Cotton's library, followed by a list of some MSS. in the Cam-bridge University Library (p. 15). 20 pages.
(6475) 'Regna Saturnia: the law and governement of villages in England by R. L. sometime one of the benchers of Grayes Inne', beg. 'The kingdome is devided into sheires' (p. 1), with a table of contents at p. ii. 22 pages.
(6477) 'The beginners of a monastique life in Asia, Affrica, Europe', beg. 'Many men addicted rather to contemplation', with the marginal note 'authore domino Rogero Twysden equite aurato'. 32 pages.
- Creation: Made up of eight MSS. written after 1648 (see p. 100) in England
Language of Materials
- Multiple languages
MS. Barlow 9
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, nos. 6436, 6441-6443, 6454, 6456, 6475, 6477
13 1/10 × 8 1/10 in., 5 4/5 × 7 1/2 in. (6475) and 7 7/10 × 6 in. (6477)