Collection of six Latin manuscripts, Made up of six MSS. written early in the 13th century in England
MS. Barlow 45
Held at the Weston Library
Collection of six Latin manuscripts:
- Fol. 1. Sermons for saints' days and feasts, imperfect at beginning. The hand changes at fol. 41. The first complete sermon beg. 'Hodierne die sollemnitas', and is for Christmas Day
- Fol. 49. 'Liber sermonum', chiefly in double columns to fol. 56v, beg. 'Adaperiat dominus cor nostrum.'
- Fol. 90. Sermons, or notes for sermons, written in a minute hand, beg. 'Sex sunt que odit deus'
- Fol. 105. A similar section, beg. 'Maleficos non pacieris viuere'. On fol. 112 is a recipe (13th cent.) to cure dysentery, perhaps in the same hand as that on fol. 131v, 'Ad colurium oculorum faciendum'
- Fol. 113. Sallust's Catiline: beg. 'Omnis homines qui sere student'
- Fol. 133. Notes for sermons, followed (fol. 137) by further sermons roughly written out. A copy of a contemporary grant, half illegible, from Richard de Cotes to Henry de Hulemor of an acre of meadow in (?) Doluwe, is on fol. 139. Fols. 143, 149 are palimpsest, the undertext being part of a 13th-cent. theological MS. in a good book-hand
- Made up of six MSS. written early in the 13th century in England
Language of Materials
MS. Barlow 45
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 6427*
On parchment, some in double columns. Binding, white parchment on boards, traces of clasp, central boss on outer back cover, and of four bosses on outer front cover
7 × 5 in.