The Pontifical of the abbot of Evesham, Written about 1300 in England
MS. Barlow 7
Held at the Weston Library
The Pontifical of the abbot of Evesham, with music, written about 1300, edited by H. A. Wilson for the Henry Bradshaw Society (vol. vi, 1893), with the additional matter on pp. iv-xiv there printed in appendix. The chief contents are:
- The services for baptism (p. 32), ordination and profession (p. 45), marriage (p. 63), benedictions (p. 81), processions (p. 101), and the offices of the sick and dead (p. 185)
- 15th-cent. forms of prayers (p. iv), for the installation of a new abbot (p. v), for confraternity (p. vii), absolution from excommunication (p. ix), for Henry iv and his queen Joanna and for Margaret, wife of Henry vi (altered to Elizabeth, for Edward iv), and her son Edward, prince of Wales (p. xi)
- Also a table of contents by Thomas Barlow (p. xiii)
- Written about 1300 in England
Language of Materials
MS. Barlow 7
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 6419
'Liber Thomae Barlow e Coll. Reg. Oxon. Anno mDCLi.'
- See also W. H. Frere, Bibliotheca Musico-Liturgica , p. 123.
On parchment with illuminated capitals, etc. Binding, stamped brown leather, late 17th-cent. English work, rebacked
12 3/4 × 8 3/8 in.