Historical, theological, and legal collections, Written in the mid-15th century in England
Historical, theological, and legal collections, comprising:
- Fol. 3. The travels of Sir John Mandeville, in Latin, as in MSS. Ashmole 769 and Laud misc. 721: beg. 'Cum igitur in premissis'. A leaf containing most of chaps. vi-vii is missing (fols. 7-8). For other Latin versions see J. Vogels, Die ungedruckte lat. Versionen Mandevilles (1886)
- Fol. 63. a brief history of the kings of France to 1293, in sixty-six sections, compiled at st. Denis: prol. beg. 'Considerans historie regum Francorum prolixitatem necnon et multorum in istam sancti Dionysii areopagite ecclesiam ...', followed by another prol. beg. 'Post illud igitur famosum'
- Fol. 87. letter of king Edward [i] to pope Benedict xi concerning Scotland: beg. 'Infra scripta non in forma', dated May 7, 1301 (printed in Foedera, 1. ii. 932), followed by an attack upon Edward's Scottish policy as in Liber Pluscardensis, i. 178: beg. 'Apostolica dudum scripta' (fol. 91v), and two letters from the barons of Scotland to the Pope, as ib. 205, beg. 'Reverende pater ... Regis eterni mira benignitas' (fol. 101v) and 'Memoriter pertinet vestra sanctitas' (fol. 102)
- Fol. 110. a narrative genealogy of the kings of Scotland, A.D. 1-1393: beg. 'Anno creationis primo natus est Jhesus Christus in Bethleem'
- Fol. 118. passages based on 'Darius Phrygius', for whom see Ward, Catal. of Romances, i. 12 ff.: beg. 'Scriptum est a Dardano rege Frigie'
- Fol. 127. a treatise, in four sections, on death, the last judgement, hell, and paradise: beg. 'Memorare nouissima [Eccles. 7, 40]... . Sicut Augustinus in libro meditacionum'
- Fol. 169v. fifteen portents of the day of judgement: beg. 'Erigitur mare deprimiturque deinde fit equum'
- Fol. 172. narrative of the dispute between Guido de Torno [of Alais, 30 miles from Avignon], and mr. Jean Gobi prior of the Dominicans [Dec. 26, 1323], for other MSS. of which see Catal. of Royal MSS., 7 B xiii, art. 2 (with different incipit): beg. 'Augustinus in libro de fide'
- Fol. 184. prayers, beg. 'Vanitas et... [1. 2] invoco te deus meus qui'
- Fol. 192. glosses, without the text, on the five books of the Decretals: beg. 'Dampnamus, Pater et filius'
- On fol. 220v are some canon law jottings
- Fol. 223 (rev.) is part of a leaf from an inventory of chattels made May 31 [about 1300] 'Duaci in camera quondam .. .'
- On fol. 1 is a contemporary list of contents
- Creation: Written in the mid-15th century in England
Language of Materials
MS. Fairfax 23
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 3903
On fol. 11v is 'The gift of Cap. Garner, 1651. C. Fairfax.'
8 1/2 × 5 1/2 in.