Notes of antiquarian tours through the counties of England, written in 1759-1771 by R. Gough
Notes of antiquarian tours through the counties of England, undertaken by Richard Gough in 1759-71 (Nichols, Literary Anecdotes, vi. 269 note), with a short index of places. There are many drawings or etchings of churches, of views, and of monumental and architectural details.
- Oxfordshire (1770; fol. 8; at fol. 34 is 'Museum Smetianum or a catalogue of antiquities in the possession of J. Smith at Dorchester; there is no mention of Oxford);
- Shropshire (1770; fol. 49);
- Somerset (1761; fol. 133);
- Staffordshire (1760; fol. 198).
- Creation: written in 1759-1771 by R. Gough
Language of Materials
MS. Top. Gen. e. 23
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 25517.
Lot 973 in the Gough Nichols sale, 1874.
Gough Nichols coll. vol. no. 8 (from 1874 to about 1884).
about 8 1/2 × 6 3/4 in.