Collection of Old English items, Written about 1730 (?) by G. Ballard
1. P. 1. 'Flores ex D. Augustini Soliloquiorum libro ... Saxonicè redditi a ... rege Aluredo': beg. 'Gaderode me j: onne rigelas [sic] & stucan sceaftas', a copy from MS. Junius 70, itself a copy of Brit. Mus. MS. Cotton Vitellius A. 15.
2. P. 67. Several smaller pieces in Old English:
- A homily, beg. 'Basilius se eadiga be ðam we ær awriton
- P. 95, 'Dominicæ orationis brevis expositio', beg. 'Ƿe firrste bede Þæt mann bitt', an extract from the Ormulum
- P. 99, Extracts from a martyrology, xii Kal. Dec. Passio S. Edmundi beg. 'Sum swyðe gelæred munuc'), and Non. Aug. Natale S. Oswaldi beg. 'Eftær ðan ðe Augustinus')
- P. 121, 'De Infantibus', beg. 'We biddað eow men', one of Ælfric's Homilies in MS. Junius 24
- P. 123, 'In dedicatione aecclesiae', beg. 'Men ða leofestan', one of Ælfric's Homilies, as above
- P. 147, 'Hu Bonefatius Sam Gotan gefillde ða flaxan', and other miracles of the saint, with an English translation (an extract from the Old English translation of the Dialogues of Gregory)
- Creation: Written about 1730 (?) by G. Ballard
Language of Materials
- English, Old (ca.450-1100)
Conditions Governing Access
This material is fragile. To ensure its availability to future readers, access to this material is restricted. Readers are asked to work from reproductions and published descriptions as far as possible. To apply to see the original, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org, outlining the subject of your research, the importance of this material to that research, and the resources you have already consulted. Please also tell us about the timeframe for your project, if any, and when you hope to visit.
MS. Ballard 58
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. III, no. 10844
10 3/8 × 8 in.