Excerpts and notes regarding various works, Written about 1625-1638 by Richard James
- A. (p. 3) Excerpts to about 1200 from a 'Thresor des histoires' in at least 737 chapters, and (p. 5) a passage from a letter of Lucifer to the pope and prelates thus described: 'vidi istam litteram primo in tempore Ricardi regis quando magister Thomas Hendeman fuit cancellarius in universitate Oxoniae [1395-7], et habui copiam à Johanne Fouke apud Tyverton in Devonia; ita nescio quis in MS. ubi habetur vita et canonizatio Gilberti de Semp[r]yngham', i.e. Cott. MS. Cleop. B. i (p. 10).
- B. (p. 10) notes from a Latin treatise by sir John Fortescue 'contra titulum Edwardi quarti', hence printed by lord Clermont in Fortescue's Works (1869), i. 505; passages from letters to cardinal Wolsey (1524-7) from Cott. MS. Vit. B. vi-x (p. 17) and extracts from Capgrave's 'vitae sanctorum' apparently from Cott. MS. Otho B. ix (p. 21).
- C. (p. 35) excerpts from Giraldus Cambrensis 'de instructione principis', followed by jottings from many sources
- D. (p. 46) 'in cronica ab initio mundi ad annum 1276 perpulchre et antiquo charactere scripta', being a st. Edmundsbury chronicle to 1281, with a list of scutages sub anno 1280, followed by brief extracts from Cottonian MSS. (p. 50)
- E. (p. 57) extracts from state papers of the reign of Henry viii in Cott. MS. Cleop. E. vi; notes 'in libro de topographia et moribus, urbibus et regno Anglie' (p. 61), and verses on the astrolabe, beg. 'Astrolabi fili vitae dulcedo paternae', headed 'versus Petri Abaelardi ad Astrolabium filium suum' (p. 64) and taken from Cott. MS. Vitell. C. viii
- F. (p. 65) notes from the letters of Adam Marsh, the unique MS. of which (Cott. MS. Vitell. C. viii) was injured by fire in 1731, followed by extracts from Boncompagno 'de stylo epistolari' from the same source (p. 68), and from the letters of Albinus or Alcuin in a Cottonian MS. (Tib. A. xv) which is not now known to exist (p. 78)
- G. (p. 81) 'in libello de Augustini adventu per Jocelinum', being notes probably from Cott. MS. Vit. D. vii or E. xiv, and (p. 89) Anglo-Saxon notes (406-1044) agreeing closely with Tib. B. 1, with a reference to 'Fabium quaestorem Aethelwardum' in Cott. MS. Otho A. x, described in Smith's Catalogue of the Cottonian MSS. as 'Fabii quaestoris Aethelwardi chronicon ab initio mundi ad tempora regis Eadgari Liber vetustus et pulcherrime scriptus' (pp. 89, 93)
- H. (pp. 93, 96) notes from Cott. MS. Dom. A. viii, and from the letters of Lanfranc (p. 107)
- I. (p. 116) extracts from the chronicles of Melrose abbey and William Rishanger in Cott. MS. Faust. B. ix, and notes 'in vitis abbatum sancti Albani' (p. 125)
- J. (p. 133) excerpts from annals of Winchcombe, in Cott. MS. Tib. E. iv, which is 'so much damaged as to be useless', and from the letter of Alexander iii describing his own election (1159) of which another copy is in Cott. MS. Faust. B. i, fol. 1, and which is here taken from 'MS. optimi equitis Henrici Spelman', with extracts from other MSS. in the same hands (p. 137)
- K. (p. 145) notes (1214-99) 'in annalibus à Christo ad annum 1315', followed (p. 148) by excerpts in English from a 'liber de consuetudinibus manerii de Suthwork, cuius tegmen habet Christi imaginem reversis pedibus cornu tectam', i.e. MS. e Mus. 229, followed by notes for ecclesiastical history from the Patent Rolls, Edward i-iii, and including a letter (p. 160) of Arthur Agarde dated 20 March 1606
- L. (p. 166) extracts from the Ramsey abbey chronicle at that time in the possession of Henry Spelman and now MS. Rawl. B. 333.
There is a table of contents dated Dec. 16, 1701 (p. 1).
- Creation: Written about 1625-1638 by Richard James
Language of Materials
MS. James 28
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol II no. 3865
8 3/5 × 6 1/2 in.