Historical and theological excerpts from MSS. at Bodley and in Oxford college libraries, Written about 1620-1638 by Richard James
MS. James 21
Historical and theological excerpts from MSS. at Bodley and in Oxford college libraries, including:
- P. 4. MS. Oriel coll. 54, the letter-book of Thomas of Capua, followed by notes from MS. Bodl. 901, containing a 16th-cent. chronicle from the time of Henry iv and William Roper's life of sir Thomas More (p. 13)
- P. 33. excerpts from the treatise of John the Scot 'super ierarchiam sancti Dionysii'
- P. 37. brief notes from MSS. at Merton college, notes from MS. Bodl. 423 'of active lif and contemplatif' (p. 53) and from Walter of Coventry's chronicle in MS. Bodl. 355 (p. 55)
- P. 62. extracts from a roll headed 1447 (MS. Bodl. Rolls 15) and numerous other MSS. at Bodley, including 'Speculum laicorum' in MS. Bodl. 474 (p. 86), notes from MS. Bodl. 549 (p. 95) and MS. Bodl. 89 (p. 100)
- P. 113. extracts from the 'Speculum lucidum' in MS. 156 at C.C.C. Oxon., followed by a brief note from a MS. which appears now to be lost, concerning Cistercian chapters-general (p. 117), and further extracts from MSS. at Corpus Christi college, Oxford, of which those from MS. 145 (p. 128) and MS. 55 (p. 140) are noteworthy
- P. 145. 'MS. litterarum pertinentium ad monasterium beate Mariae de Becco Helluini C.C.C.' apparently identical with MS. Dom. A. xi in the Cottonian collection, followed by copies of Anglo-Saxon charters from transcripts in the possession of Brian Twyne
- Written about 1620-1638 by Richard James
Language of Materials
In Latin , English , Anglo-Saxon
MS. James 21
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol II no. 3858
8 2/5 × 6 3/10 in.