Miscellaneous letters written to or owned by miss Pigott, written in 1742-1841
The collection cannot be described summarily. Among the letters are:
- many from the Campbell family (e. g. the duke and duchess of Argyll in about 1840-2)
- from E. H. C[ampbell]
- several from miss Pigott herself (e. g. to Emilie baronne de St. Genies) with drafts of her letters
- (fol. 52) fragment of diary
- (fol. 289) lines on her by Jane Thomas.
The earliest pieces are:
- (fol. 2) from an English officer at Ghent, Feb. 5 (O.S.), 1712/13
- (fol. 5) from A. Vaughan to Isaac Clopton, June 19, 1756
- (fol. 9) from W. Pigott, 1784, etc.
- (fol. 13) from Augusta, duchess of Brunswick, Sept. 26, 1789.
There are also letters from S. H. Mytton, 1808-9 (fol. 16, cf. MS. Pigott d. 21, fol. 208), lord Clive afterw. earl of Powys, June 3, 1822 (fol. 81) and John Dryden Pigott, Dec. 20, 1835 (fol. 128, cf. MS. Pigott d. 21, fol. 293).
- Creation: written in 1742-1841
Language of Materials
- Multiple languages
MS. Pigott d. 19
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no 23445
11 7/8 × 9 1/2 in.