Two Latin manuscripts, Made up of two MSS. written (A) in the late 14th cent., (B) in the 13th cent., probably in France
MS. Savile 16
- Fol. 1. Nicholas Oresme, bishop of Lisieux (1377-82), De motibus spherarum, with pen-and-ink diagrams, beg. 'Ad pauca respicientes'
- Fol. 4. an illustrated treatise on trigonometry, beg. 'Quantitatem aliquam invenire. Est invenire quociens in ea aliqua famosa ...' and with colophon 'Expliciunt practice concinate ordinate per magistrum Dominicum de Mascinario complete anno ab incarnatione domini 1346 prima die Maij'
- Fol. 14. the Perspectiva of Roger Bacon, beg. 'Propositis radicibus sapiencie', not included in MSS. cited by A. G. Little in the 'List of Roger Bacon's Works' reprinted from the Proceedings of the British Society of Franciscan Studies (1911)
- Fol. 35. an anonymous arithmetical treatise, beg. 'Unitatis tanta est respectu numero'
Written in the 13th cent., probably in France:
- Fol. 40. 'Incipit liber de aggregacionibus sciencie stellarum et principiis celestium motuum Admeti filii Admeti qui dictus est Alfraganus', or the Rudiments of Astronomy of Al-Fargani (Ahmed b. Muh. b. Ketir el-Fargānī), in thirty chapters, of which the last leaf (for the important colophon of which see Lynn Thorndike, History of Magic, ii. 74) is now no. 1791, fol. 87
- Fol. 49. Messahala (Mā Shā' Allāh al Misrī) on the astrolabe, in the Latin version of John of Spain
- Fol. 55v contains late 12th-cent. allusions to works not now in the volume, and fols. 56-end are blank
- Fol. iv has 'in isto libro sunt 8° quaterni quorum duo mobiles sunt' (15th cent.), an erased inscription, and a 17th-cent. table of contents
- Made up of two MSS. written (A) in the late 14th cent., (B) in the 13th cent., probably in France
Language of Materials
MS. Savile 16
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 6562
On parchment, binding, white leather on boards with traces of two clasps, 15th-cent. English work
12 3/10 × 8 7/10 in.