Mathematica Graeca et Latina, Written in the 1st half of the 17th century
MS. Savile 9
Mathematica Graeca et Latina:
- Fol. 1. 'Ptolemaeus de analemmate' and 'De angulis et peripheriis subtensis ex doctrina Ptolemaei': these are only Latin notes, including some on sun-dials, cf. fol. 245v.
- Fol. 10. 'Additiones ad sphaerica Theodosii, quae in Maurolycia traditione reperiuntur', in Latin.
- Fol. 12. 'Sphaerica Menelai quam plurimis turn nouis [?] turn argutis à Maurolyco adaucta (vt ipse ait) propositionibus': including (fol. 16) 'Supplementum Thebitij Bencorat in sphaericum sectorem Ptolemaei' and (fol. 19v) 'Demonstrationes in quaedam theoremata Menelai': in Latin.
- Fol. 25. 'Ex Sphaericis Maurolyci', in Latin.
- Fol. 31. 'Euclidis Data, Δεδομένα', in Greek, with Latin notes and some 'Investigationes'.
- Fol. 41. 'Pappi Alexandrini Ʃυναγωγή μαθηματɩκή', in Greek, wanting the first book and the beginning of the second: beg. 'γάρ αυ'τούς ε'λάσσόνας με'ν είναι έκατοντάδας' in the 16th chapter. The 3rd book begins at fol. 49, the 4th (part?) at 227, 5th at 138, 6th at 180, 7th at 81, and 8th at 214v, with a supplement at fol. 227.
- Written in the 1st half of the 17th century
Language of Materials
Greek , Latin
MS. Savile 9
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 6556
Bequeathed by Dr Peter Turner, who died in Jan. 1650/51: probably claimed for the Savilian library in 1655.
13 5/8 × 9 1/2 in.