Collections by Sir William Dugdale concerning Marshland, Written by Sir W. Dugdale in and after A.D. 1657
MS. Dugdale 49
Collections by Sir William Dugdale concerning Marshland (in Norfolk, see chapt. 44 of Dugdale's History of Imbanking), consisting of:
- Fol. 2 Connected 'Particulars obse[r]vable concerning Marshland'
- Fol. 7 extracts from records from the 13th to the 16th centuries relating to the district and especially its drainage as part of the Fens
- Several of the documents are from a volume owned by chief justice Oliver St. John, copied by Dugdale in 1657
- Fol. 1 is an original notice of the Commissioners for collecting 3s. in the pound, appointing April 1, 1550, for the constables of the hundred of East Flegg in Norfolk, dated March 29 in that year
- Written by Sir W. Dugdale in and after A.D. 1657
Language of Materials
Latin , English
MS. Dugdale 49
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 30455
This seems to be lot 426 among Peter Le Neve's MSS. sold on March 6, 1730/1, and was there sold for £3 3s. to -- West. Owned by Thomas Martin of Palgrave, who wrote his name and a note on fol. iiv, and lot 177 in the sale of his MSS. on April 29, 1773 (it then included five letters of Sir Thomas Browne, 1658, etc.). 'To Walter Plummer Es[q.]' (18th cent.) is on fol. 49. No. 3662 in an early 19th cent. sale. First referenced soon after 1860.
12 5/8 × 8 1/4 in.