Mathematical treatises and tables by Martin Master, Written in about A.D. 1670 by M. Master
MS. Savile 91
Mathematical treatises and tables by Martin Master, one of which is dated 1670:
- The chief one is (fol. 9) 'The Surueyours Perambulator or an Engin, wherewith the Surueyour may ... measure land ... also an Abstract of the Tables of Logarithms [fol. 70 ... with the Canons of Artificiall Signes [sines] and Tangents ... Performed by Martin Master...'
- 'The Description and vse of the Cylinder Diall' (fol. 1)
- An engraving of Master (born 1605: engraved by R. Garwood, 1660) and of his Perambulator (fols. 6v, 7r)
- Measurements by the instrument of the roads from Epping to London (1659), and by 'mr. Blunt of Greenewich's' measuring Chariot from Epping to Bishop's Stortford, 1664 (fol. 7v)
- At fol. 68 is a survey of the estate of 'T. G.' at 'N.' in the county of Essex, 1660
- At fol. 133v tables of areas of circles, 1670
- At fol. 143 calendarial tables A.D. 1600- 2150 (made in 1672), and especially for 1652-79
- Written in about A.D. 1670 by M. Master
Language of Materials
MS. Savile 91
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. V, no. 26163
Owned by Robert Charles in about A.D. 1700 (fol. 67v).
On paper with clasps
5 1/4 × 3 1/4 in.