Musical compositions by W. Davis, in the author's handwriting, early 18th cent.
MS. Mus. c. 16
- (fol. 3). An Ode on St. Cecilia's day; the words beg. 'Assist, you mighty sons': score and separate parts
- (fol. 22). A Jubilate, in Dminor, 18 Oct. 1715
- (fols. 36, 111). Anthem from Ps. cxxv ('They that put their trust')
- (fol. 41). Anthem from Ps. xii ('Help, Lord')
- (fol. 45v). Anthem from Ps. xliv ('Lord, why sleepest thou')
- (fol. 65v). Anthem, 'Let God arise', signed, and dated 20 Nov. 1705
- (fol. 72). A thanksgiving anthem after the battle of Ramillies ('The word of the Lord'), signed, and dated 27 June 1706
- (fol. 95). Anthem from Is. xii ('Behold, God is my salvation')
- (fol. 98). 'A devine song out of Sandses translation, sett for three ladys', from Ps. xvii ('Lord, grant my just request')
- (fol. 99). Anthem from Ps. li ('Have mercy upon me')
- (fol. 100v). Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis, in F Minor.
- (fol. 105v). Anthem from Is. lviii ('Cry aloud'), for a day of humiliation
- (fol. 109). 'A prayer for the queen' ('O Lord, make thy servant Anne'), an anthem
- (fols. 115, 120v). Fifteen songs with music:--'Love and gay hope', 'Can Strephon change'; 'a diologe betwen Celedon & Astrea' (beg. 'Astrea, when will you'); 'Ah nevermore', 'Toylsome watchings', 'With a long calm'; 'I've often heard' (words by capt. -- Sute); 'Phyllis, in vain'; 'Sylvia, whilst' (words by T. Cook); 'In vain I seek to charm'; 'When longing Strephon' (words by lieut. Cross); 'Of all the arts' (words by T. C.); Dr Sache[ve]rells Health in a catch, 1710 (beg. 'Let's drink disappointment'); 'A song upon mr. Spelmans weading' (beg. 'Hail, happy pair'), dated 3 Aug. 1697; 'Such a bargain.'
- (fol. 120). A round in three parts
- (fol. 133v rev.). 'Rules for playing a Through Base' (music only).
- early 18th cent.
Language of Materials
MS. Mus. c. 16
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no. 16693
12 3/4 × 8 5/4 in.