Anthems with music, 18th cent.
MS. Mus. c. 2
Made up of several MSS, comprising the following anthems with music:
- (fol. 2). Two, by dr. Samuel Arnold ('Hear, O thou shepherd' and 'My song shall be')
- (fol. 16). 'Like as the hart', by John Awbery, or Aubrey (two copies)
- (fol. 42). 'O give thanks' by Will. Bird or Byrd
- (fol. 47). Three anthems by dr. John Blow ('Hear my voice', 'The floods are risen', 'Lord, who shall dwell.')
- (fol. 71). 'Blessed is he that considereth' by H. Cox
- (fol. 72). 'Praise the Lord' by dr. R. Creyghton
- (fol. 76). Three anthems by dr. Tho. Sanders Dupuis ('Sing unto God', 1790, 'The Lord is my light', 1793, the latter an autograph and signed 'T. S. D.': and 'My heart is fixed')
- (fol. 97). Three anthems by John Ernest Galliard ('Have mercy upon me', 'the original copy as composed by mr. Galliard whose writing it is. P. Hayes purchased it among many others of mr. Thos. Barrow, Gentleman of the Royal Chapel, Jany 1776': 'O Lord, ... let me hear': and 'I am well pleased' in the handwriting of -- Saville of Lichfield)
- (fol. 128). 'O Lord, how do my woes' by Orlando Gibbons.
- (fol. 129). Two anthems by dr. M. Greene ('O give thanks', 'The Lord is my strength')
- (fol. 145). Three anthems by dr. Samuel Howard ('Blessed ... is the man', 'Let my complaint', and 'Wherewithal shall a young man')
- (fol. 167). 'Hear my prayer' by Charles Stroud.
- 18th cent.
Language of Materials
MS. Mus. c. 2
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no. 16681
13 × 9 7/8 in.