Anthems with music., 18th cent.
MS. Mus. c. 1
Made up of several MSS, comprising the following anthems with music:
- (fol. 3). 'Teach me, O Lord', by dr. W. Croft, partly autograph and dated 11 Sept. 1723
- (fol. 10) 'Thou, O God', by the same, partly autograph and dated 9 Sept. 1723
- (fol. 16). 'Lord, how long', by dr. -- 'Good.'
- (fol. 18). Ps. lxxii. 1-10 ('Lord, give thy judgments'), by N. Haym, 1728
- (fol. 22). Ps. xlii. 1-2 ('As pants the heart'), by Charles King.
- (fol. 25). Ps. lxx. i ('Haste thee, O Lord'), by Daniel Rosin-grave: followed by a short account of the author
- (fol. 29). ('Hear me when I call'), by 'J[ohn] S[tanley]', an autograph dated 1734: owned by 'J. Awbery.'
- (fol. 37). 'My strength will I ascribe', by J. Stanley, 1742, a copy
- (fol. 42). Ps. lv. 1-6 ('Hear my prayer'), by Charles Stroud, followed by a fuller form of the same
- (fol. 54). Ps. xxviii (parts: 'Unto thee will I cry') by Anthony Walkley, an autograph signed
- (fol. 60). Three anthems:--'O praise God' by --Robinson; 'O Lord, thou hast searched' by A. Walkley; 'Sing, O daughter of Sion' by Hen. Hall: also (fol. 79v) 'A Solo for a Contra-Tenor' ('Thou, Lord, hast made us') by dr. Croft: and, in the same hand, 'A Solo for a Bass', unfinished ('The voice of joy')
- (fol. 82). A canon ('O Lord, rebuke me not') adapted to Byrd's Non nobis Domine
- (fol. 84). An anthem in D minor, 'O God, thou art my God.'
- (fol. 88v). An anthem 'O sing unto the Lord.'
- (fol. 92). An anthem, 'O give thanks.'
- 18th cent.
Language of Materials
MS. Mus. c. 1
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. IV, no. 16680
13 × 8 3/4 in.