Copies of deeds from private archives and chartularies and Collections from the chartularies or registers, Written in 1629-1630 by Roger Dodsworth, written chiefly in 1630, by Roger Dodsworth
MS. Dodsworth 155, 1629-1630, 193 leaves: Copies of deeds from private archives and chartularies, relating to the West Riding of Yorkshire, cf. MS. Dodsworth 133:
1. Copies of deeds from the archives of:
- Fol. 1. Stephen Hammerton, esq., of Hellifield Peel, near Leeds (land in Hammerton), from the 12th cent., with pedigree to 1630 (fol. 4v)
- Fol. 9. Robert Hartley of Stirk House, from the 12th cent., and including grants to Sawley abbey
- Fols. 14v, 17.  Monk of Guisborough, being grants to Sawley abbey
- Fol. 77. sir Francis Wortley, kt., concerning Hunshelf and Hensworth
- Fol. 81. William Scholey alias Laynes of Siday in Hemsworth, concerning Wannervile of Hemsworth
- Fol. 83. Boniface Savage of Pontefract, from copies made by Charles Fairfax, esq., including a copy of Roger de Lacy's grant of a borough at Pontefract (1194)
- Fol. 85. Francis Burdett, esq., of Bricklethwaite, being notes from court rolls and deeds lent by him to Dodsworth of High Hoyland manor, 1 Ed. iii-17 Eliz., with an autograph note by Burdett of the Dodsworth arms
- Fol. 97. sir John Ramsden of Longley concerning the Scargill family
- Fol. 105. Charles Fairfax of Menston, esq., with pedigree of Brerehagh and Fairfax (fol. 107), relating to property in Menston of the Lardiners of Skelton (fol. 115), and the families of Thwaite and Darcy
- Fol. 123. Thomas Heber, esq., of West Marton-in-Craven, from the evidences of his nephew, Lister of Westby, touching land in Remington (Arnaldbigging family), Marton, Newsom (de la Grene family), and Skipton
- Fol. 141. Henry Grice of Sandall, esq., relating to Wrenthorpe (Fenton family), from the 12th cent.
- Fol. 147v. Richard Beaumont of Mirfield, esq., concerning Beaumont of Huddersfield (Lascy fee)
- Fol. 164. sir William Lister, kt., of Thornton-in-Craven, concerning Wakefield, Stanley, Sandall, Horbury, etc., and grants to Sawley abbey, from the 12th cent., with notes from manor court rolls of Colne, Ric. ii-Hen. vii (fol. 167v)
- Deeds of Bolton of Midhope (fol. 171v)
2. Extracts from the chartularies of:
- Fol. 18. Pontefract priory, penes Roger Dodsworth
- Fols. 23, 61, 67. Monk Bretton priory, penes Francis Wortley, 1630, and (fol. 61) a second chartulary in the custody of sir Thomas Holcroft of Vale Royal, 1614, and of sir William Airmin of Lincolnshire, 1634, from transcripts made by Francis Burdett
- Fol. 69. the family of Drax of Woodhall, from notes lent by Francis Burdett to Richard Gascoigne (1623) and in Dodsworth's possession (1630)
- Fol. 180. Francis Malham, esq., of Elslack in Craven, 1636, called 'Registrum evidentiarum Christopheri Radclyffe', being abstracts of deeds, from the 13th cent., concerning Elslack (Dawtry family), Newthorp and Kirk Fenton, Hewick, Glusburn, Remington
There are notes from a Pontefract rental, 6 Hen. vi, at fol. 100.
Index nominum by Dodsworth, who wrote the whole volume, at fol. vii.
MS. Dodsworth 156, 1630, 153 leaves: Collections from the chartularies or registers of:
- Fols. 1, 65. St. Mary's abbey, York, being extracts from two chartularies in St. Mary's Tower, 'Nine [leaves] of the first [gathering] being torne out' from the first of them
- Fol. 113. Fountains abbey, once in the possession of lady Honor Proctor and at that time in St. Mary's tower, York, and from a second chartulary penes sir Robert Cotton in 1625, for which see MS. Dodsworth 113, fol. 39v
- Fol. 145. the dean and chapter of York, being from sede vacante registers, 1396, 1397-8, and 1500, followed by brief notes from the registers of archbps. Romayn, Wickwane, and Scrope
There is an index nominum by Dodsworth at fol. v.
- Creation: Written in 1629-1630 by Roger Dodsworth, written chiefly in 1630, by Roger Dodsworth
Language of Materials
MSS. Dodsworth 155, 156
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, nos. 5096-5097
MS. Dodsworth 155: ('Y')
MS. Dodsworth 156: ('Z')
- MS. Dodsworth 155: See also Hunter, Three Catalogues , artt. 3-5, 7, 8, 10,11.
8 2/5 × 6 1/5 in.