Collections for a list of Lancashire sheriffs and sketches of seals and copies of some of the deeds and Copies of deeds and letters, Written for the most part in 1638-1640 by Roger Dodsworth and others, written about 1633 by Roger Dodsworth and others
MS. Dodsworth 147, 1638-1640, 139 leaves: 1:
- Fol. 1. Collections for a list of Lancashire sheriffs
- Fols. 9, 18, 112. church notes at Worksop; Woodhill, co. Bedford; Exton, co. Rutland; Braybrooke, co. Northants.; Luton, Bedford; and (fol. 18) Manchester, and (fol. 112) Nocton, co. Lines.
- Fols. 14, 17, 40, 121. brief notes from deeds of sir George Shirley, by Gervase Holies of Grimsby (fol. 14), and Lancashire notes from deeds of Alexander Rigby of Burgh, esq. (fols. 17, 40, 121)
- Fol. 23. copies of foundation and early charters of the Norman houses of Fontenel (fol. 23), Avranches (fol. 26), St. Amand by Rouen (fol. 29), and Caen (fol. 30), and also of the Cluniac priory of Barnstaple (fol. 32)
- Sketches of seals and copies of some of the deeds to which they were attached (fol. 44)
- Followed by copies of deeds from the Monk Bretton chartulary in the possession of sir William Airmin, 1635 (fol. 76)
- Rough miscellaneous historical and topographical notes (fol. 82)
There are also pedigrees of Mirfield, Wentworth (fol. 16), Carus to 1638 (fol. 17v), and collections from close rolls 2-18 Hen. iii (fol. 120).
There is an index nominum at fol. 132v. Fols. 1-22v, 35-42v, 81v-end are by Dodsworth.
MS. Dodsworth 148, 1633, 125 leaves: 1. Copies of deeds from sir Edward Plumpton's coucher of evidences 'conteyning above 800 deedes', of which there is a transcript by Christopher Towneley in Add. MS. 32, 113 in the British Museum: see also Whitaker's Deanery of Craven, p. 558.
About a third are here transcribed by Roger Dodsworth (to fol. 50v) in rough chronological order, from the 12th century and relate to the family lands in Plumpton, Grassington, Cowthorp, Ribston, Goldsborough, and other vills near Knaresborough (W.R.). They also include the foundation in 20 Ed. iii of the chantry of Holy Trinity at Ripon (fol. 22v) and grants to Bolton-in-Craven priory (fol. 84).
2. Copies of letters to sir Robert Plumpton and Robert Plumpton, esq., temp. Hen. vii, from Henry, earl of Northumberland, the abbot of Lilleshall, William Gascoigne, and others (fols. 62, 109). These and others were printed for the Camden Society (vol. iv, 1839) from the Towneley MS.
There is an index nominum at fol. iv, and part of an index nominum to vol. 122 at fol vii.
- Creation: Written for the most part in 1638-1640 by Roger Dodsworth and others, written about 1633 by Roger Dodsworth and others
Language of Materials
MSS. Dodsworth 147, 148
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, nos. 5088-5089
MS. Dodsworth 147: ('S')
MS. Dodsworth 148: ('SS')
- MS. Dodsworth 147: See also Hunter's Three Catalogues , artt. 13-17, 21, 22.
8 1/5 × 6 1/4 in.