Collection of four Latin items by Dodsworth and others, Written in November-December 1633 by Roger Dodsworth and others
1. Fol. 1. Extracts from documents in the custody of Henry Lilley, including:
- Fol. 1. notes from a transcript of the Red Book of the Exchequer
- Fols. 41-78v. notes and copies of deeds, concerning (fol. 41) St. Mary's abbey, Thame (from the chartulary now in the possession of the marquis of Bath), (fol. 46) Godstow nunnery, and (fol. 49) Lilleshall priory, and (fol. 50) a copy of the barons' letter to the Pope, 1301, from the book of transcripts known as sir Robert Cotton's 'booke of seales'
- Fol. 110v. a copy of the foundation charter of Gaunt's Hospital (St. Mary's, Billeswick) near Bristol, by Robert Gurnay, from his book of 'foundacions of religious houses' and copies of three 12th-cent. deeds from transcripts in his possession
2. Fol. 79. Notes from 'Mr Bradshawes abstracts of the pleas of the tyme of king John, which booke is kept in the Treasury att Westminster'.
3. Fol. 52. Notes of genealogical character, including pedigrees of:
- Bron Greystoke, from Glover (fol. 32)
- de Lacy (fol. 53v)
- Fitz-Herbert, from the Llanthony chronicle and (fols. 54 and 131v)
- The heiresses of William Brewer, and Holland of Swinestead, co. Lincs., and Dutton, from 'a book in the hands of Mr Stretton dwelling att the Cock & Hoop att Fetter Lane End' (fol. 116)
- Le Strange of Hunstanton, with other notes, from sir Henry Spelman, (fol. 128)
- Notes from (fol. 54v) the chartulary and chronicle of Stanley Park or Dale abbey (Cott. MS. Vesp. E. xxvi), 16th-cent. deeds (fol. 57v) concerning the lords of Sudley
- Abstracts with sketches of seals, of miscellaneous 12th-14th-cent. south-country deeds, and (fol. 71v) notes from the Testa de Nevill, headed 'de seriantiis arrentatis per Robertum de P[asselewe].'
- Fol. 110. notes from the Ragman bag in the Exchequer
- Fol. 113. from 15th-cent. Nottinghamshire charters in the custody of Henry Coldrecote of Basingfield, gent.
Index nominum on fol. vii by Dodsworth, who also wrote fols. 1-118v, 125-end.
- Creation: Written in November-December 1633 by Roger Dodsworth and others
Language of Materials
MS. Dodsworth 141
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 5082
8 3/8 × 6 1/8 in.