Duchy of Lancaster tenurial collections and Tenurial collections for Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, Written for the most part in 1629 in various hands, written about 1630-1635 by Roger Dodsworth
MS. Dodsworth 131, 1629, 107 leaves: Duchy of Lancaster tenurial collections, from the Testa de Nevill and inquisitions, comprising:
- Fol. 1. extracts from the lists of fees and sergeanties of 1212 (fol. 1), 1219 (fol. 14v), a survey of free tenures in Lancashire, 25-35 Ed. iii (fol. 33), followed by copies of exemplifications (temp. Eliz.) of 14th-cent. records to prove the descent of Grimshaw of Clayton-le-Moors in Lancashire (fol. 45), and a list of fees from which an aid was taken, 1 Ric. ii, for the knighting of John of Gaunt's eldest son (fol. 75)
- Fol. 87. '... a true copy of Bardsey his rolles of tenures in Lancaster, remayning in the Court of Wardes at Westminster, taken by Edward Rigby of the Burgh within the county of Lanc., esq., anno 31 Eliz.', compiled from various inquisitions, Ric. ii-Ed. iv
An index nominum villarum on fol. viii, and an index nominum on fol. xiv, are both by Roger Dodsworth, who wrote, besides fols. 35-6v and 87, marginalia throughout.
MS. Dodsworth 132, 1630-1635, 119 leaves: Tenurial collections for Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. Lists of fees of various dates from:
- Fols. 33, 46v, 105. the Testa de Nevill, including a return of 1253 (fol. 41), and the scutage account of 1235-6 (fols. 46v, 105)
- Fols. 49, 97, 121. the nomina villarum of 1309, feet of fines and inquisitiones post mortem (fols. 52v, 97)
- Fol. 89. the hundred rolls for Derbyshire
- Fol. 100. 'Out of a thinne yellow booke in the Dutchy office' (as in Hunter's Three Catalogues), being an account of an aid taken in 4 Ed. iii, and including notes from a feodary of the honour of Peverel of Nottingham, 'per Ricardum Martell ballivum dicti honoris ad scaccarium, 7 die Nov. anno 21 [Ed. i] finiente' for which see the Book of Fees, ii. 1320-1 (fol. 119)
- Fol. 129. the placita de Quo warranto of 4 Ed. iii
Index nominum by Dodsworth on fol. i. Fols. 97-100, 121-7, 149-50 are not by Dodsworth.
- Creation: Written for the most part in 1629 in various hands, written about 1630-1635 by Roger Dodsworth
Language of Materials
MSS. Dodsworth 131, 132
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, nos. 5072-5073
MS. Dodsworth 131: ('J')
MS. Dodsworth 132: ('JJ')
7 9/10 × 6 in.