Notes from the antiquarian collections and documents in the possession of Richard Gascoigne and Notes by Dodsworth from St. Loo Kniveton's collections, Written about 1627-1630 by Roger Dodsworth, written in and about 1633 by Roger Dodsworth
MS. Dodsworth 127, 1627-1630, 163 leaves: Notes from the antiquarian collections and documents in the possession of Richard Gascoigne, much being derived from Yorkshire fines beginning at 4 John (fols. 20v, 33, 136) and other chancery records (fol. 124).
The private evidences used include deeds from:
- Fols. 7v, 115, 153v. St. Mary's Tower, York, and elsewhere concerning the families of Neville of Raskelf, Curcy, and Rumilly (fol. 18), Fleming (fol. 41), and Everingham and Rockley (fols. 16, 44v)
- Fol. 42v. the archives of Lucy Bretton of West Bretton (fol. 42v), Jordan Metham, esq., of Ryedale (fol. 43v), lady Margaret Strickland, relating to D'Eyvile and Neville of Thornton (fol. 53v), sir Thomas Wentworth, bart. (fol. 112v), and sir James Bellingham, kt. (fol. 156v)
There are notes from homage rolls of the honour of Pontefract, temp. Ed. iii (fol. 56v), and excerpts from Augustine Vincent's books 'RR' and 'WW' derived from chancery enrolments (fol. 67).
Extracts from ecclesiastical sources include notes from:
- Fol. 2v. a chartulary of Fountains abbey penes lady Proctor
- Fols. 7, 156. 'the old torn abbey book' of St. Mary's, York
- Fol. 11. the 'book of Durham' or Liber vitae, which has been printed in facsimile by the Surtees Society (1923)
- Fol. 46. the Meaux chartulary, in the custody of sir William Alford, kt.
- Fols. 75, 120v. a Pipewell chartulary in the Cottonian collection
- Fol. 118v. a transcript, made by St. Loo Kniveton, of the Worksop register
- Fols. 89v, 123. the Magnum registrum album and a 'Domesday' in the possession of the dean and chapter of York
- Fol. 99. rolls in the York consistorial office temp. archbp. Walter Grey (fol. 99), a register temp. archbp. Walter Giffard (fol. 101), and the registers of archbishops Wickwane (fols. 103v, 109v) and Romayn (fols. 105, 110)
There are also:
- Copies of deeds from St. Mary's Tower, York, relating to the monasteries of Monk Bretton (fol. 10), Roche (fols. 123v, 157v), and Sinningthwaite (fol. 146v)
- Pedigrees of Fleming (fol. 1v), Mauley (fol. 4), Scargill-Stapleton (fol. 17), Neville-Coleville (fol. 84), Towneley (fol. 135), Tempest from the family archives (fol. 147), Darcy (fol. 152)
- A genealogy, not by Dodsworth, of Savile of Copley (fol. 160)
There is an index nominum on fol. v by Dodsworth, who wrote the volume to fol. 160.
MS. Dodsworth 128, 1633, 186 leaves: Notes by Dodsworth from St. Loo Kniveton's collections, in the possession of Richard Gascoigne, being chiefly a series of extracts from Yorkshire fines (fol. 10v) and other public records (fol. 38v), including:
- Some 'out of an old book of abstracts out of records ... in the Exchequer' (fol. 52), and from plea rolls (fol. 121)
- Notes from chartularies, in the possession of sir Robert Cotton, of Pipewell, probably Cott. MS. Otho B. xiv (fol. 21), Christ Church, Canterbury, from Lambarde's notes (fol. 71), Boxgrove priory, now Cott. MS. Claud. A. vi (fol. 97v), and the liber Roffensis (fol. 120)
The pedigrees include a copy of Gascoigne's descent of Vavasor, Lisle, and Fitz-Warin (fol. 1v), pedigrees of Kirkby, Trussel, and Prilly (fol. 65), and de la Roche (fol. 96v).
At fol. 153 are copies of charters (not from Gascoigne) penes Charles Fairfax, esq., and transcripts from his book of 'impertinent deeds'. Index nominum (fol. v) by Dodsworth, who wrote the volume throughout.
- Creation: Written about 1627-1630 by Roger Dodsworth, written in and about 1633 by Roger Dodsworth
Language of Materials
MSS. Dodsworth 127, 128
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, nos. 5068-5069
MS. Dodsworth 127: At fols. 114, 119v is an autograph letter of John Woodward, dated from Rishton Grange, July 9, 1627, endorsed 'Leave this at James Taylor shoppe to be gotten to mr. Dodsworth'.
MS. Dodsworth 128: At fol. 163 collections for the history of the Vavasor family from public and private records 'In Mr Vavasor of Heselwoods booke of Records dedicated to him by Mr Seynt Louis Knyveton, 28 March 1633'.
8 1/4 × 6 1/4 in.