Yorkshire antiquarian collections and Extracts by Dodsworth from Richard Gascoigne's antiquarian and genealogical books, Written about 1620 by Roger Dodsworth, written probably about 1630 by Roger Dodsworth
MS. Dodsworth 123, 1620, 176 leaves: Yorkshire antiquarian collections:
- Fols. 1, 72, 81, 129, 161. collections from the inquisitiones post mortem and ad quod damnum
- Fols. 70v, 157v. notes from a Kirkstall chronicle and a Registrum brevium in the possession of Dodsworth
- Fol. 89. a section relating to feudal tenures in Yorkshire, including notes from the Red Book of the Exchequer (fol. 89), a book of fees in the Exchequer (fol. 93), 'Homagia debita archiepiscopis Ebor' collecta ex registris', 13th-14th centt. (fol. 97), notes from a book by John Cartwright, feodary (fol. 105), fees and a rental of the honour of Pontefract (fol. 110v), fees of the honour of Richmond 11 Ed. i, and fees owing ward to Richmond castle (fol. 114v)
There is an index nominum by Dodsworth (fols. iv-xi).
MS. Dodsworth 124, 1630, 155 leaves: Extracts by Dodsworth from Richard Gascoigne's antiquarian and genealogical books marked 'AAA', 'AB', 'AC', etc., and from similar volumes by St. Loo Kniveton at that time in Gascoigne's possession (fols. 12, 33, 39, 65, 73, 75, 97v). These collections, gathered primarily from public records, include also notes from miscellaneous sources, some of which are:
- Fols. 8v, 13, 57. notes from the evidences of sir Thomas Metham: (fol. 29v) church notes from Smithby, co. Leics.
- Fols. 31v, 43v. notes of the families of Clifton and St. Quentin from a manuscript in the Herald's Office and documents in the possession of Robert Cecil, lord Burghleigh
- Fol. 33. excerpts from Gascoigne's notes from sir Robert Cotton's 'booke of seals'
- Fols. 123, 127v. copies of deeds, including a charter of Henry i and the foundation charter of Newminster abbey, from an ancient roll in the possession of lord William Howard of Naworth
- Fols. 134v. extracts from Weaver's Funeral Monuments
- Fol. 149. 'The names and places of [knights] dwelling in Shropshire'
There are pedigrees:
- Of Balliol, from sir Richard St. George's collections (fol. 31v)
- Of Vescy and Muschamp (fol. 91)
- Of Ferrers, from Henry Ferrers's collections (fol. 96)
There is an index nominum (fols. v-xvi) by Dodsworth, who wrote the volume throughout.
- Creation: Written about 1620 by Roger Dodsworth, written probably about 1630 by Roger Dodsworth
Language of Materials
MSS. Dodsworth 123, 124
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, nos. 5064-5065
MS. Dodsworth 123: ('E')
MS. Dodsworth 124: ('EE')
8 1/10 × 6 1/5 in.