Notes, for the most part exactly dated, from Yorkshire chartularies and other documents and Collection of Latin writings by Dodsworth, Written by Roger Dodsworth in 1619-1626, written for the most part in 1629-1632 by Roger Dodsworth
MS. Dodsworth 116, 1619-1626, 153 leaves: Notes, for the most part exactly dated, from Yorkshire chartularies and other documents, comprising:
- Fol. 1. narrative of the foundation of Kirkstall abbey, 'according to a copy which I had of Mr Cooke, vicar of Leeds', as printed in the Monasticon, vi, 1174
- Fol. 19. notes from a chartulary of the hospital of St. Nicholas, Pontefract, 'in the keeping of Mr Skipton in Pontefract, who lent it me most friendly and freely'
- Fols. 28v, 152. short notes by Dodsworth from the 'Chronicon Manniae', printed in Chronicles of Man, Manx Soc., from the MS., given by Dodsworth to sir Robert Cotton, now Cott. MS. Jul. A. vii
- Fol. 29. extracts from the chartulary of Monk Bretton, at that time in the custody of sir Francis Wortley, bart., now at Woolley, and printed for the Yorks. Arch. Journal, no. xxv
- Fol. 39. from a manuscript concerning the college of Holy Trinity, Pontefract, in the custody of Francis Bunney of Newland
- Fols. 47, 120. from a chartulary, now no. 11798, of Fountains abbey in the custody of lady Honor Proctor, widow, copied by Gascoigne, and (fol. 49) another in the custody of William Ingleby
- Fols. 52, 112. 'Ex chartulario ... S. Johannis de Pontefracto ... penes meipsum, 16 Martin, 1626', now at Woolley
- Fol. 6. from the chartulary of Healaugh Park priory, now Cott. MS. Vesp. A. iv
- Fol. 114. from the chartulary of St. Leonard's, York, now Cott. MS. Nero D. iii
- Fol. 138. collections from the archives of Burton of Ingerthorpe
- Fol. 141. of Thomas Bosevile, esq.
There is also a genealogy of Brus, not by Dodsworth, May 24, 1605 (fol. 147), and notes from the MS. 'historia Dunelmensis ecclesiae ... in custodia Caroli Fairfax, Tho: de Denton militis filius' (fol. 149), now no. 3886. A note on fol. vi states that this volume was borrowed on Oct. 17, 1664, from sir Thomas Fairfax, by Nathaniel Johnston. There is an index nominum on fol. ix by Dodsworth.
MS. Dodsworth 117, 1629-1632, 161 leaves: 1. Fol. 1. Excerpts from Gascoigne's collections and transcripts, many of which are dated, of deeds in private archives, comprising:
- Fol. 1. short genealogical notes from his volumes marked 'B', 'M', 'O', 'G', 'P', and 'A'
- Copies of charters of Francis Burdett (fol. 19v), Thomas Barnby, esq., of Calthorn, for the wapentake of Holderness (fol. 20v), William Mallet of Normanton (fol. 23)
- 13th-cent. deeds relating to Heton (fol. 28)
- There are also copies of deeds from St. Mary's Tower, York, concerning the monasteries of Healaugh Park, Holy Trinity at York, Nostell (fol. 5), and Roche (fol. 17)
2. Fol. 41. Copies of charters given to Dodsworth by Marmaduke Wilson of Tanfield in Yorkshire, concerning:
- The families of Fitz-Hugh and St. Quintin, and West Tanfield documents in the custody of the rector, Richard Darnton (fol. 63)
- Fol. 67. deeds of William Oglethorp of Oglethorp relating to the families of Mauley and Oglethorp, with a pedigree of the latter to 1629, for which see also fol. 86
- Fol. 81. briefer notes with pedigrees of Bannister to 1629, and Astley
- Extracts from the muniments of Brian Beston, gent., concerning land in Beston (fol. 82), of Nathaniel Birkhead concerning South Kirkby (fol. 82v), of Francis Burdett, esq., of Burdett (fol. 83v), and of sir Richard Beaumont, bart. (fol. 86v)
3 Fol. 89. A list, not by Dodsworth, of the retainers of Edward lord Hastings, 14 Ed. iv.
4 Fol. 105. 'In a booke or rentale of all the chantry or colledge lands annexed to the Dutchy of Lancaster, in com. Ebor', in custodia Henrici Savile, militis et baronetti'.
5 Fol. 113. 'In certayne transcripts olim Johannis Hanson de Wodehouse antiquitatis studiosi defuncti modo in custodia Thome Brok de Newhouse in villa de Hode, generosi'; concerning the manor of Wakefield (Warenne fee) and priory of Woodchurch, with pedigrees of:
- Oglethorp (fol. 133)
- Hanson (fol. 135v)
- Newell (fol. 136)
- Hamerton (fol. 137)
- Mirfield (fol. 148v)
These are chiefly derived from Hanson's 'Red Book' marked 'AA' now MS. Dodsworth 58 fols. 1-143. At fol. 163 are notes from deeds of Robert Heywood of Heywood, co. Lancs.
There is an index nominum by Dodsworth at fol. ii.
(fols. 73-80 are missing)
- Creation: Written by Roger Dodsworth in 1619-1626, written for the most part in 1629-1632 by Roger Dodsworth
Language of Materials
MSS. Dodsworth 116, 117
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, nos. 5057-5058
MS. Dodsworth 116: ('A')
MS. Dodsworth 117: ('AA')
- MS. Dodsworth 116: See also Hunter's Three Catalogues , artt. 14, 19, 21, 23, 24, 27, 31.
- MS. Dodsworth 117: See also Hunter's Three Catalogues , artt. 2, 6, 18.
8 1/3 × 6 1/3 in.