Collections for religious houses, Collections from the close rolls and Excerpts from the Testa de Nevill, Written in 1638 by Roger Dodsworth and others, written about 1650, written about 1640
MS. Dodsworth 110, 1638, 140 leaves: Collections for religious houses:
- Fol. 1. 'In collectionibus Willelmi Dugdale de Blythall iuxta Coleshull in co. Warw' generosi, Jun. 8, 1638', being (fols. 1, 16) copies of transcripts made by Dugdale of grants to Warwickshire monasteries, specified in the Old Catalogue and printed in the Monasticon
- There are also a few deeds, as the grants of Henry ii and Stephen to Bordesley abbey (fol. 22), not used in the Monasticon
- Fol. 12. Pedigrees of Frevile, Ferrers, and baron Stafford, from notes made by Dugdale in 1636 of the evidences of lady Anne Ferrers of Tamworth
2. Fol. 29. Copies of deeds from the Castle Acre chartulary in the Exchequer, June 14, 1638, and now Harl. MS. 2110 in the British Museum.
3. Fol. 43. 'In cartis Ricardi Leveson de Trentham in co. Staff., militis, ... 21 Julii 1638' concerning Trentham priory, with transcripts of charters of Henry i and Stephen, and Trussebut and Panton grants to Lilleshall, and charters, including:
- One of Henry i (fol. 44v)
- To St. Peter's, Shrewsbury, from chartularies of Lilleshall (fol. 44v)
- To St. Peter's (fol. 52), in sir Richard Leveson's possession
4. Fol. 67. Copies of foundation charters, with marginalia by Dodsworth, from a volume of transcripts, including charters to the hospital of Leicester (fol. 118v), and the foundation charter of Buildwas abbey (fol. 122), of which there is another copy in Lansdowne MS. 447 in the British Museum.
5. Fol. 124. Genealogical notes including:
- Fol. 124. descent of the founders of St. James's, Worcester, from a chartulary
- Fol. 126. genealogical history of the lords of Chirk
- Fol. 127. the like for the Mortimers, founders of Wigmore
- Fol. 138. charter of Cnut founding Bury St. Edmunds, from the original penes Henry St. George
Index nominum on fol. vi. Fols. 1-59 are by Roger Dodsworth.
MS. Dodsworth 111, 1650, 171 leaves: Collections from:
- The close rolls, 1-29 Ed. i (fol. 1)
- From the close and patent rolls, 11, 12, 18-20 Hen. iii
- And 3, 19 Ed. ii (fol. 126), specified in the Old Catalogue
There is no index, and Dodsworth's hand does not occur.
MS. Dodsworth 112, 1640, 120 leaves: Excerpts from the Testa de Nevill, by counties, specified in the Old Catalogue. There is an index nominum at the beginning. From fol. 108 only was written by Dodsworth.
- Creation: Written in 1638 by Roger Dodsworth and others, written about 1650, written about 1640
Language of Materials
MSS. Dodsworth 110, 111, 112
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, nos. 5051-5053
MS. Dodsworth 110: ('YYY')
MS. Dodsworth 111: ('Y')
MS. Dodsworth 112: ('Z' in circle)
12 1/8 × 8 1/4 in.