Collections from chronicles and chartularies, Written about 1642-1651 mainly by Roger Dodsworth
Collections from chronicles and chartularies, of which the principal are:
- Fol. 1. Brief notes from an Abingdon chartulary, and from the Abingdon chronicle printed in the Rolls Series (fol. 5)
- Fol. 15. notes from the Evesham chartulary, now Cott. MS. Vesp. B. xxiv, in the British Museum, and (fol. 23) from the Kirkstead chartulary, now Cott. MS. Vesp. E. xviii, in the British Museum
- Fol. 32. extracts from Peterborough registers, containing inter alia a note of a fine dated 11 Hen. ii (fol. 32v), and extracts from 'cartulario ... Swafham nuncupato' (fol. 36v), but not in the copy printed by Sparke: (fol. 39) extracts from a chartulary of the abbey of Rufford, co. Notts., 'in custodia Samuelis Roper de Lincolns ynne armigeri, 21 May, 1651'
- Fol. 41. notes of charters from a register of Bury St. Edmund's, 'in custodia domini Roberti Bacon, baronetti de Redgrave, in co. Suff., 1651', and from Walter Pinchebek's register of the same, now MS. EE. iii. 60 in the Cambridge University Library (fol. 42v)
- Fol. 46. from the chartularies of Whitby
- Fol. 54. Biddlesden, now Harl. MS. 4714: (fol. 84) Chateris and Pipewell, now Cott. MS. Jul. A. i
- Fol. 89. and from the chronicle of St. Peter's, Gloucester, now Cott. MS. Domit. viii, printed in the Rolls series
- Fol. 90. the Malmesbury chartulary
- Fol. 94. 'in a transcript out of the chartulary of the priory of Thurgarton, by th'erle of Kingeston, 1642'
- Fol. 109. the Boxgrove chartulary, now Cott. MS. Claud. A. vi in the British Museum
- Fol. 125. 'in a cartulary of evidences sometymes belonging to the antient erles of Warwik and now in the hands and custody of sir Dudley North ... 1650', now Add. MS. 28024 in the British Museum
- Fol. 125v. 'in a box of antient deeds lately in the custody of sir Symonds Dewes kt., and baronet. The box endorsed Barons younger sonnes', being deeds relating to the family of Mauduit
The volume also contains:
- Notes from the charter roll of 57 Hen. iii, which is not now known to exist (fol. 65)
- Other chancery enrolments and 13th-14th-cent. charter rolls, by Dodsworth and Christopher Towneley (fol. 131)
- Excerpts from Dugdale's notes (in his book 'M') out of Leland (fol. 97)
- Extracts from a book of the aid of 1346, and other Exchequer records (fols. 103, 119)
- There are pedigrees of Vipont and Clifford by Richard Gascoigne (fol. 122), of Barnby, by Dodsworth, to 1632 (fol. 124), of Barton of Fryton (fol. 126), Nuttle of Holderness (fol. 129v), and Denham, co. Devon (fol. 130v)
There is an index of names at fols. iv-xivv. Dugdale's hand occurs at fols. 30, 37. Fols. 137-end are in the hand of William Collett.
- Creation: Written about 1642-1651 mainly by Roger Dodsworth
Language of Materials
MS. Dodsworth 105
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 5046
('W' in square)
11 1/4 × 6 3/4 in.