Collections for various counties from Augustine Vincent's MSS., the Cottonian library, and private archives, Written in and about 1652 by Roger Dodsworth and others
Collections for various counties from Augustine Vincent's MSS., the Cottonian library, and private archives:
- Fols. 1, 73. Extracts from Vincent's book marked 'Collectanea' derived from the register of Beauvale priory in Nottinghamshire and (fols. 3, 76) from his 'Quid non' taken from the history of the monastery of Stanley Park in Derbyshire, now Cott. MS. Vesp. E. xxvi, and from the Tewkesbury chronicle, now Cott. MS. Cleop. C. iii (fol. 16)
- Fol. 27. 'These are the names of the Noble men that were slaine at Tewkesbury field'
- Fol. 28. miscellanea from Vincent's books marked 'TTT', 'DDDD', 'yy', and 'cc', in part from the register of St. Mary's, Overey (fol. 32), for which see also no. 3839, p. 207
- Fols. 36, 38, 45, 46. from Vincent's genealogical notes from deeds of lord Vaux of Harrowden, relating to Engaine and south country families, with pedigrees of Grenham (fol. 37), Pomeroy (fol. 37v), and Beauchamp (fol. 48), St. Maur (fol. 49), Sutton, lord Dudley (fol. 52v), Mortimer, la Zouche (fols. 54v, 60), Beckering (fol. 58), Poynings, Fitz-Pain, Latimer (fol. 59), Wake, Pateshull (fol. 61v), Talbot (fol. 62), Courteney, Arundel (fol. 62v), Northwood (fol. 64v), Beaumont (fol. 73), Lucy (fol. 74v), Hotham (fol. 78), Bavent (fol. 78v)
The collections from Cottonian MSS. are:
- Fol. 67. from Vitell. F. iv, concerning Thetford priory, St. James's by Northampton (fol. 70), and St. Guy's, Barnwell, for which see also fol. 91
- Fol. 87. from Galba E. ii, relating to St. Benet Hulme, and from Vitell. F. viii, itself a book of extracts, badly burnt in 1731, from chartularies, of which the Halliwell register, in the possession of Edmund Bolton, is not now known to exist (fols. 89, 92, 95)
- Fol. 94. in the chartulary of Christ Church Twyneham, Tib. D. vi, and the Bermondsey chartulary (fol. 97)
- Fol. 110. church notes and extracts from the Dunmow chronicle, from Cleop. C. iii, and a charter of Malcolm i of Scotland
The notes from private archives include:
- 'Hec est la Registre Johan de Say fitzWillm' Hugolin de Mertok', of all his lands, 12 Ed. iii (fol. 96)
- Transcripts of 12th-cent. deeds of Revesby priory and other documents in the possession of the earl of Lindsay at Grimsthorpe, sent to Dodsworth by Robert Sanderson of Boothby Pagnell, Mar. 30, 1652, with a pedigree of lord Welles (fols. 115, 119)
- Carlton deeds penes Geoffrey Palmer of Carlton (fol. 118), a pedigree of Mordant (fol. 121), notes from the Castle Acre chartulary, for which see Bull. Inst. Hist. Research, iii. 71 (fol. 22)
- Vernon charters from the collections of William Vernon of Shakerley, esq., Oct. 10, 1651 (fol. 123), a 12th-cent. charter at Appleby castle, Sept. 1651 (fol. 126)
- Pedigrees of Denham (fol. 127v), Clifford, and Clare from mr. Bush's book of the Nobility (fol. 131)
- Documents relating to the hospital of Newport Pagnell (fols. 135, 141)
There are also transcripts of public records at fol. 103, and numerous brief notes from chartularies.
The volume is by Dodsworth, with the exception of fols. 1-36v, 46, 115, 120, 135-end. There is no index.
- Creation: Written in and about 1652 by Roger Dodsworth and others
Language of Materials
MS. Dodsworth 102
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 5043
('V' in square)
13 × 8 1/2 in.