Collection of eight Latin writings and An incomplete transcript of the chronicle of Meaux abbey, Written about 1639 in various hands, written in or before 1635 in three or four hands
MS. Dodsworth 68, 1639, 126 leaves: 1. Fols. 1, 92. Extracts from private collections and evidences, partly from 'Sir Christopher Hatton's booke of seales', for which see also MSS. Dodsworth 79, 100, including a charter of Henry ii [1154-7] to Bohun of Midhurst in Sussex, the original of which was in possession of sir Thomas Cotton, charters in the possession of sir Hamo Le Strange of Hunstanton in Norfolk, and other 12th-cent. deeds, including three charters of the Gant family, and notes of the Northamptonshire families of:
- Knightley of Fawsley (fol. 92)
- St. John of Plumpton (fol. 92v)
- Braybrook, Ledet, and Latimer (fol. 93)
- Delamare (fol. 93v)
- Tresgoz, and Paunton (fol. 95)
2. Fol. 9. 'Ex miscellanea MS. collecta per Glover Somerset Herald', of which MS. the original is in the College of Arms, and further extracts are in B.M. Harl. MS. 245, chiefly 'ex cartis Vavasor of Haselwood' concerning 14th-cent. Yorkshire estates (fol. 10v), but including also:
- Transcripts of 14th-cent. charters 'ex veteri MS.' relating to the family of Chaumont (fol. 12v)
- 'Ex cartis Roberti Lisle de Gosford, in comitatu Northumb' 1586' (fol. 17v)
- 'Ex cartis Francis Slyngesby de Scriven in co. Ebor' 1586' (fol. 20)
- From evidences of sir Thomas Fairfax of Denton, 1587, concerning land in Harewood and Denton, co. Yorks. (fol. 24).
All taken by Dodsworth from Glover's collections.
3. Fol. 35. A copy of the foundation charter of Fairwell abbey, co. Staffs., from the Lichfield cathedral registry.
4. Fol. 36v. Transcripts from a book of Yorkshire descents compiled by Robert Glover, at that time in the possession of John Philpot, Somerset Herald, and from sir John Dawney's evidences concerning Darel and Dawney of Brodsworth; notes 'ex cartis antiquis Ricardi Malyverer de Allerton in com' Ebor', militis, 1589' (fol. 37v), giving pedigrees of Mauleverer, Lacy of Folkton (fol. 39v), and Dolman of Pocklington (fol. 40v).
5. Fol. 42. Genealogical notes from evidences of Strangways and Roos of Laxton, notes from John of Gaunt's register (fol. 49), and notes relating to the Deyville family from deeds of Thomas Danby of South Cave (fol. 52).
6. Fol. 57. Extracts from the Cartae Antiquae rolls, including the following numbers, of which those with '(M)' beside are printed in the Monasticon Anglicanum:
- A 23, 30, 34, 35, 36
- B 2, 25(M)
- C 7, 14, 19
- D 35
- G 3, 15(M) (fol. 67v)
- H 2, 3, 12, 14, 19, 20
- L 26(M)
- M 1 (fol. 66)
- N 31, 32, 38 (fol. 112v)
- P 10, 34, 35
- Q 1(M), 16, 17(M), 18(M), 19 (fol. 115)
- T 34, 39
- V 5(M) (fol. 62v)
- W 16(M), 27(M) (fol. 69)
- X 9(M) (fol. 70)
- Y 9, 14
- AA 21, 22, 23, 25, 32
- BB 4
- DD 1, 6, 10
- FF 6, 13
- HH 2, 3, 5, 8, 27
- JJ 9, 10, 19(M)
- XX 39
7. Fol. 73. Notes from the Gascon, French, Scotch, and Welsh rolls, Hen. iii-iv:
- From the fine and charter rolls, John-Hen. iii (fol. 99)
- From patent and close rolls, John-Hen. iii, and the inquisitiones post mortem (fol. 102v)
- With genealogical notes of Basset (fol. 104), Folet, Chesney, Rokesly (fol. 104v)
- Sketch pedigrees of Crioll (fol. 111v), Fitz-Warin, and Audley (fol. 112) from a MS. of [Francis] Thynne
8. Fol. 91. Copies of the will of Agnes de Cundy, wife of Walter de Clifford, from a book of [Gervase] Holles:
- Of a charter of Henry ii to the canons of Grimsby, collated by Holles (fol. 116)
- Notes from a family chartulary of Dudley of Clopton, co. Northants. (fol. 102)
- Extracts from a transcript of the Bardney register 'which nowe lord Willoughby of Parham hath in keeping and had it from old Palfreyman of Lusby', lent to Dodsworth by Thomas Hirst, surrogate of the chancellor of Lincoln: followed by notes from a register of ordinations of chantries in Lincoln cathedral treasury (fol. 123)
Fols. 3, 4, 6, 9-45, 57-69v, 92-115, 116-17v, 123-end are the chief sections by Dodsworth.
MS. Dodsworth 69, 1635, 289 leaves: An incomplete transcript of the chronicle of Meaux abbey, which is printed in the Rolls series, at that time in the possession of sir Christopher Hildyard of Winstead, kt., and afterwards of sir Thomas Phillipps. Collated in 1635 by Dodsworth, who has added marginalia throughout.
- Creation: Written about 1639 in various hands, written in or before 1635 in three or four hands
Language of Materials
MSS. Dodsworth 68, 69
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, nos. 5010-5011
MS. Dodsworth 68: ('M' in circle)
MS. Dodsworth 69: ('MMM')
- MS. Dodsworth 68: See also Hunter's Three Catalogues , artt. 5-9.
12 5/8 × 7 7/8 in.