Abstracts of deeds and Miscellaneous collections and Collections from the Plumpton family papers and other sources, Written 1639-1642 by Roger Dodsworth and others, written about 1630
MS. Dodsworth 49, 1639-1642, 121 leaves: 1. Abstracts of deeds in the possession of:
- Fol. 1, Cuthbert Heron of Chipchase, relating to Ford, Hadston, Eshot, and elsewhere, calendared in Northumberland and Durham Deeds, pp. 89-118, Newcastle-upon-Tyne Record Society
- Fol. 11, Francis Bradling of Alnwick, being a copy of an exemplification by Henry Percy, earl of Northumberland of grants to Alnwick priory
- Fol. 23, Albany Featherstonehaugh, esq., relating to land in Featherstonehaugh, etc., calendared op. cit., p. 39
- Fol. 33, Robert Lyell of Felton, esq., concerning Felton and Gosforth, etc., calendared op. cit., pp. 118-34
- Fol. 38, William Hesilrig of Swarland, esq., concerning Newcastle and Swarland, with pedigree at fol. 41, by Dodsworth, of Carlisle, Graper, Haselrig, calendared op. cit., pp. 72-89
- Fol. 63, William Cavendish, earl of Newcastle, at Welbeck, concerning Ogle of Bothal, Hepple, Middleton, calendared op. cit., pp. 164-90
- Fols. 73, 98v, Charles Dimoke, esq., at South Kyme, co. Lincoln, relating for the most part to Lincolnshire properties and comprising deeds of the families of Dymoke of Scrivelsby (including deeds of Hook Norton in Oxfordshire), Tallboys (Northumberland and Lincolnshire), and Hebden (some Craven deeds), calendared op. cit., p. 219, with brief notes from court rolls of Holderness wapentake (fol. 75) and of Billingay manor, 47 Edw. iii-3 Hen. viii (fol. 84)
2. Miscellaneous collections including:
- Fols. 27, 50. Cumberland notes, Kirkby Lonsdale and Penrith church notes (fol. 30)
- Fol. 48. copies of Nun Appleton priory deeds, in St. Mary's Tower, York, and extracts from a chartulary of Fountains abbey, now MS. Rawlinson 449, from which other extracts are in MSS. Dodsworth 62, 116, 156 (fol. 48v)
- Fol. 55. copy, by Augustine Vincent, of a survey of lands of rebels (1570) from Exch. K. R. Misc. book, no. 38, now in the Public Record Office
- Fol. 95. church notes for Aldbrough (Holderness), Swine abbey, Stoke Rochford (fol. 99), and Repingale, co. Lincs.
- Fol. 105. heraldic notes collected by Anthony Rutter (d. 1608), copied by Dodsworth from a manuscript lent to him by Francis Smales of Preston in Holderness, gent., with church notes of Heckington, co. Lines.
- Fol. 112. 'The Danger that the Kingdom now standeth in, & the Remedy', by sir Robert Cotton: beg. 'As soone as the house of Austria had incorporated'; printed in 1628
- Fol. 120. 'Of Robert Devereux, Earle of Essex and George Villie[r]s Duke of Buckingham, some observations by way of Paralell', by sir Henry Wotton, though here anonymous; printed in 1641: for other copies see nos. 10126, MS. Add. A. 104
There is an index nominum at fol. vi by Dodsworth. Fols. 1-5v, 11-22, 25-7v, 35-6, 40-50, and 112-end are not by Dodsworth. Fol. 91 is wanting.
MS. Dodsworth 50, 1630, 140 leaves: Collections from the Plumpton family papers and other sources:
1. Fol. 1. Transcript of part (paras. 37-146) of a marshalsea roll of A.D. 1300: the entire roll is printed in Palgrave's Documents and Records illustrating the History of Scotland, pp. 209 seq.
2. Fol. 9v. Extracts from a book of transcripts from the plea rolls, temp. Edw. i and ii (cf. no. 4183, fol. 73).
3. Fol. 39. Transcripts from the Plumpton papers, including:
- Fol. 39. an inquisition taken for a subsidy of a tenth in the wapentake of Claro in Yorkshire, 1468
- Fol. 80. copies of four letters about Perkin Warbeck's rebellion, 1497, printed from this MS. in sir Henry Ellis's Original Letters, 1st ser., vol. i, pp. 34-8
- Fols. 84, 103. legal papers relating to the affairs of sir Robert Plumpton (d. 1523), as described in Hunter's Three Catalogues
- Fol. 98. list of 'knights made by my lord of Gloucester in Hutton feild in Scotland, 1482'
For other Plumpton papers see MS. Dodsworth 148.
4. Fol. 119. 'The discent of the lord Percies, made and compiled ... by ... William Peeris', an English metrical history of the house of Percy, printed from this MS. in M. A. Richardson's Reprints of Rare Tracts, 1847. There is a lacuna of 19 stanzas at fol. 123, line 18, which is supplied in an early 16th-cent. copy in the British Museum (Royal MS. 18. (d. 11).
The volume contains a few marginal notes and headings in Dodsworth's hand, and an 'index nominum virorum' at fol. iii.
- Creation: Written 1639-1642 by Roger Dodsworth and others, written about 1630
Language of Materials
MSS. Dodsworth 49, 50
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, nos. 4191-4192
MS. Dodsworth 49: ('G' in circle)
MS. Dodsworth 50: ('GGG')
- MS. Dodsworth 49: For other minor entries see Hunter's Three Catalogues , artt. 16, 19-21.
12 1/2 × 8 in.