Charters of monasteries in Yorkshire, Written after 1627, by Roger Dodsworth, etc.
MS. Dodsworth 9
'Monasticon Boriale, continens diplomata regum, necnon scripturas originales ... super fundationibus monasteriorum ... ultra Trentam. Quibus etiam adduntur munimenta quamplurima de priuilegiis ... et terris per compatriotos illis datis et confirmatis. Omnia ... summa fide representata opera et industria Rogeri Dodsworth.' This volume contains charters of monasteries in Yorkshire, etc., transcribed, in part by Dodsworth, in part by a secretary, from:
- MS. Dodsworth 26 (Drax, fol. 308)
- MS. Dodsworth 116 (Fountains, fol. 196v; Pontefract, fol. 255v; Healaugh, fol. 322)
- MS. Dodsworth 118 (Selby, fol. 296, etc.)
- MS. Dodsworth 121 (Rievaulx, fol. 159, etc.)
- MS. Dodsworth 125 (York cathedral church, fol. 11)
- MS. Dodsworth 138 (Nostell, fol. 276)
- MS. Dodsworth 152 (Roche, fol. 165; Blythe, co. Notts., fol. 178)
- MS. Dodsworth 156 (St. Mary's, York, fol. 55; Fountains, fol. 196)
- MS. Dodsworth 159 (Bridlington, fol. 139; Whalley, co. Lancashire, fol. 215; Pontefract, fol. 243)
- And from a few other quarto volumes of Dodsworth's collections, to which references are in each case given
The deeds, unlike those in the two preceding volumes, are ultimately derived from monastic chartularies. There are also extracts from Ordericus Vitalis, Eccles. Hist., iv, cc. 4-5 (fol. 12) and from Symeon of Durham, Hist. Eccles. Dunelm. ii, cc. 6-7 (fol. 15). A fuller list of contents is given in the Old Catalogue.
- Written after 1627, by Roger Dodsworth, etc.
MS. Dodsworth 9
Other Finding Aids
Falconer Madan, et al., A summary catalogue of western manuscripts in the Bodleian Library at Oxford which have not hitherto been catalogued in the Quarto series (7 vols. in 8 [vol. II in 2 parts], Oxford, 1895-1953; reprinted, with corrections in vols. I and VII, Munich, 1980), vol. II, no. 4151
('W' in triangle)
12 5/8 × 8 1/4 in.